Plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

caitlynnanne9189

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Honking of getting live plants for my 20gallon tall and I'm not sure what lighting I need or what plants I want? I kinda want an LED light. Is that compatible with aquarium plants?

If you can settle for low light plants you wont have to change anything at all. Led hoods can be quite pricey. I like java fern, anubias, and java moss. They're all hardy low light plants

tarpon said:
If you can settle for low light plants you wont have to change anything at all. Led hoods can be quite pricey. I like java fern, anubias, and java moss. They're all hardy low light plants

Well my current lighting I hate! I have the 2 bulbs, one on either side that's about 2 inches long each and I'm stuck with the crappy light it gives out that's like yellow ish. I tried to get new bulbs but they aren't any options here. It's like yucky yellow or fluorescent bulbs. I was looking into getting a new hood any way and I have led on my 3 gallon that I love cuz they are so white and bright. I'll look into those plants though!

Soft white compact fluorescent bulbs have a blue hue to them. If you replace the stock incandescent bulbs with those your tank will be in the medium low range.

I use screw in Compact Fluorescents in 3 of my tanks. They are 5500-6500K

I grow a ton of plants in my 5g, 5.5g and 10g tanks.

I have an expensive Archaea LED fixture for my rimless 10g. It grows plants as well.

Crypts are my current favorites.
Some of what I'm growing
Crypt Nurii Pahang mutated
C. Wendti
C. pontederiifolia
C. Balansae
C. Parva
C. lucens

Dwarf chain sword
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllium mattagrossense
Bacopa monnieri
Dwarf tiger lotus lily
Lots of different mosses
Java Fern (reg, trident, and narrow leaf)
Anubias
Amazon Sword
And others

Coursair said:
I use screw in Compact Fluorescents in 3 of my tanks. They are 5500-6500K

I grow a ton of plants in my 5g, 5.5g and 10g tanks.

I have an expensive Archaea LED fixture for my rimless 10g. It grows plants as well.

Crypts are my current favorites.
Some of what I'm growing
Crypt Nurii Pahang mutated
C. Wendti
C. pontederiifolia
C. Balansae
C. Parva
C. lucens

Dwarf chain sword
Ludwigia repens
Myriophyllium mattagrossense
Bacopa monnieri
Dwarf tiger lotus lily
Lots of different mosses
Java Fern (reg, trident, and narrow leaf)
Anubias
Amazon Sword
And others

Awesome thanks! I think I want led but the hood is 70 from my lfs. I'm gonna try to look them up online. The shipping might kill me though. The light hood I have now sucks cuz the lights look yellow. I hate it lol!

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Awesome thanks! I think I want led but the hood is 70 from my lfs. I'm gonna try to look them up online. The shipping might kill me though. The light hood I have now sucks cuz the lights look yellow. I hate it lol!

I actually prefer my CFLs. My LEDs are to strips of white and a middle one of blue and the light to me looks too "cold". It's bright. I use mostly Marineland u-shaped CFLs. Mine are a nice "warm" white.

Try CFLs before you drop $$$ on LEDs.

Coursair said:
I actually prefer my CFLs. My LEDs are to strips of white and a middle one of blue and the light to me looks too "cold". It's bright. I use mostly Marineland u-shaped CFLs. Mine are a nice "warm" white.

Try CFLs before you drop $$$ on LEDs.

I'm not sure what CFLs are but I just found this I line. I have to replace my current light system and this is what it looks like. I may not do the led cuz I don't want a cold look either. I just want it to be bright and white.

http://m.petco.com/Petco/product/de...+Black+24"+Fluorescent+Strip+Light+24"+Length

caitlynnanne9189 said:
I'm not sure what CFLs are but I just found this I line. I have to replace my current light system and this is what it looks like. I may not do the led cuz I don't want a cold look either. I just want it to be bright and white.

http://m.petco.com/Petco/product/detail.do?itemId=216259&categoryId=792761&path=Home%7CFish%7CHoods+%26+Lighting%7CAqueon+Black+24%22+Fluorescent+Strip+Light+24%22+Length

CFLs = compact fluorescents. Screw in type ( in my case )

I have the standard incandescent screw in hoods that come with the tanks. Mine are from Petsmart. I just substitute CFLs.
This is the bulb I use the most. It fits the hoods and I used to work at Petsmart so easy for me to get.
http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147169

You can get cheaper CFLs at hardware stores. Do NOT exceed recommended wattage for your hood. You should be ok up to two 13w CFLs for sure. Read your hood specs.

CFLs grow more plants than a single strip light AFAIK !!!! If you get that hood replace the bulb with a plant friendly bulb.

Coursair said:
CFLs = compact fluorescents. Screw in type ( in my case )

I have the standard incandescent screw in hoods that come with the tanks. Mine are from Petsmart. I just substitute CFLs.
This is the bulb I use the most. It fits the hoods and I used to work at Petsmart so easy for me to get.
http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11147169

You can get cheaper CFLs at hardware stores. Do NOT exceed recommended wattage for your hood. You should be ok up to two 13w CFLs for sure. Read your hood specs.

CFLs grow more plants than a single strip light AFAIK !!!! If you get that hood replace the bulb with a plant friendly bulb.

Humm. It seems my hood now will actually take the bulbs you use I just need to change the bulbs in mine. The guy at my lfs said they ones with the long skinny bulbs have more options and better lighting. Is this true or should I just keep what I have and change the bulb? How do I know what the watt max is for my hood. It can with my 20gallon starter kit and the little papers for it seem to be basic and universal with different models on it so irk which one is mine

caitlynnanne9189 said:
Humm. It seems my hood now will actually take the bulbs you use I just need to change the bulbs in mine. The guy at my lfs said they ones with the long skinny bulbs have more options and better lighting. Is this true or should I just keep what I have and change the bulb? How do I know what the watt max is for my hood. It can with my 20gallon starter kit and the little papers for it seem to be basic and universal with different models on it so irk which one is mine

I think you can go up to 25watts on your hood. I think up to 13w CFLs would be just fine.

If Petco is your store they carry this bulb.
http://www.petco.com/product/111943... Sun Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb-111943

Hardware stores are cheaper, but the U-shaped are better fits so I pay for these.

caitlynnanne9189 said:

The strip lights actually aren't always better. I have planted tanks and PAR readings don't lie.

You have a 20high or 20long ??? The 20h is harder to light, but try and see how you like it :)

Awesome thanks! I almost bought those yesterday but I wanted to make sure I was buying the right thing! Ok so next paycheck new bulbs it is and then maybe live plants! Yay!

You should be able to look around where the socket is and it should say something like "25 WATT MAX.". I think my old 20 starter took 25 max, so I used the 23W CFL's.

Of course, if you wanted to shell out even more cash you could buy a whole new fixture. Your decision hinges on your $$ and what kind of lighting you want.

Edit:

I actually just looked at that T8 replacement hood for your tank, don't waste your money on it. You would be running 46W using CFL's, and only 15W with that. I'm pretty sure you would get more bang (and light) for your buck with the CFL's.

Coursair is 100% correct, if you are lighting a 20 tall. They are a pain in the rear compared to a 20 long.

adadkins1 said:
You should be able to look around where the socket is and it should say something like "25 WATT MAX.". I think my old 20 starter took 25 max, so I used the 23W CFL's.

Of course, if you wanted to shell out even more cash you could buy a whole new fixture. Your decision hinges on your $$ and what kind of lighting you want.

Shop SYLVANIA 2-Pack 60-Watt Equivalent Daylight Compact Fluorescent Light Bulb at Lowes.com

Those are what I use on my 5 and 10g's. They make them in a 23W version, just make sure you get the ones called "Daylight"/6500K.

I thought I had to buy a new light fixture cuz my options with the stock one was limited but it seems I'm ok with what I got. I'm not to worried about the $$ cuz it's something I am researching before I buy and I'll just get next pay check. This paycheck I bough a new aquaclear 70 HOB, extra sponges for it, new gravel for my 3gallon, and a bubble wand and check valve with adjustable valves for my air pump. Now I'm planning next paycheck lol.

:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I just edited my post. You are very limited with lighting a 20H because, unless you run T5HO's you will always be in the low lighting range. If you want to drop the $100 for a T5HO fixture, go for it. It just depends on what plants you wanna grow.

adadkins1 said:
:ROFLMAO:

Yeah, I just edited my post. You are very limited with lighting a 20H because, unless you run T5HO's you will always be in the low lighting range. If you want to drop the $100 for a T5HO fixture, go for it. It just depends on what plants you wanna grow.

Yeah I might as well just save the money and try using what I got and see what happens. I didn't have my heart set on any specific plant I just thought that I might give it a try cuz I have the plastic colorful plants but after seeing everyone's planted tanks they look so pretty!

Unfortunately the 20 tall was a Xmas gift and at that point I knew nothing except I wanted a fish tank lol. Of I had known better I would have returned the starter kit and just bought the bigger tank I wanted and pieced it together how I like but lesson learned. Ive already decided to replace almost everything but the tank itself from the kit lol. I honestly want a 55gallon or bigger but I don't have the room in my bedroom and I live with other people who aren't willing to compromise to me moving their things for my tank lol so for now I'm stuck with this but it's better than nothing!

Back
Top Bottom