Plants and Discus, a goal achieved

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dwayne.aycock

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have always had a love of aquariums since I was a child. Back in the 70s, aquariums were very expensive and little was actually known about how to take care of many species of fish. I got my first aquarium when I was back in college because I thought it would be cool...besides I was taking biology and the chapters on marine biology were facinating to me. I started out eager and stupid. I killed more fish than I ever kept and compared to what I know, I knew enough to cover the head of a pin. Fast forward 29 years and I am rearing Discus...the level in which many consider the pinnacle of the hobby. Again I discovered that I only knew enough to cover the head of a pin....not about Discus but plants. Plants have been a challenge to say the least, and to get healthy plants in the restrictive Discus tank has been a very delicate balancing act to say the least. You see, what was good for the Discus was problematic for the plants, and what was good for the plants was problematic for the Discus. Well after 7 months, I think I have arrived. Check out PICs in my public album called "my rescaped Discus tank". Let me know that you think. I am open to learning more, as well as your stories about balance.

I got my plants from a seller at aquaplants.com. The mates I have for my Discus are cardinal and neon tetras, green Coreys and finally black flag tetras. All of the fish come from the same region and can handle the higher water temps in the discus tank. at aquaplants, I got a special called the Discus Pack. It is a collection of amazon plants to include swords and anubias.

Back
Top Bottom