Plants and Severums..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mudfrog

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm trying to find some plants that my Severums will leave alone. I'm in need of basic plants that require little to no maintenance. I've always used duckweed and frogbit as I like how it looks and gives cover. I bought enough duckweed to completely cover the top of my 125g and my four Severums ate it all within 1.5 weeks (on top of every other day feedings).

I'm reading Java Fern is left alone by Severums, can anyone vouch for this? Should I add a clay pot and place it in there or tie it to my driftwood? I also read you should use fertilizer after each water change, which fertilizer should be used? Lastly I read it does not need much light. I have two 48" T8 bulbs on my aquarium, one is a cheap daylight bulb while the other is a Hagen Power Glo bulb. I have an automatic timer which kicks on at noon and turns off at 8pm, should I cut that time back?

Anubias is the first one I think of. They supposedly taste bad.

Java Fern is a good one to try.

You can offer a veggie clip with organic Romaine to keep they jaws off the plants.

Tie them or glue them to rocks or driftwood. Neither likes to be "planted".

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. What about the lighting, is 8 hours good or to much for Anubias and Java Fern?

Thanks. What about the lighting, is 8 hours good or to much for Anubias and Java Fern?

6-8 hours is about right. Reduce to 6 hours if you get Algae.

There are several species of Anubias and Java Ferns. So you can decorate and still stick with just those ?

Sent from my LG-V410 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sweet.. thanks for the help.

Would those two benefit from Seachem Flourish and Seachem Flourish Excel? Maybe a reduced amount since I will only start off with a couple plants?

Thanks for the help. I picked up an Anubias Congensias and thin leaf Java Fern last night at Petsmart. They only had one of each in the larger sizes so I'm going to give these a try, if they work well then I will pick some more up.

Back
Top Bottom