Plants are growiiiiing!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Big C

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

Looks like I finally got it right and my plants are growing very nicely. Some of them have reached the surface and are sort of floating and covering parts of the surface. others are getting bushier. They all look great. Now I wonder if I have too many plants in there and the fish are having less a nd less room for swimming.

They all look happy, but how do I know when is time to start pruning?

Thank you!

The largest plant, the one I'd like to prune, is the one I don't know the name. I took a few pix but I don't know how to post them... help???? :oops:

Do you have a photo editing software? If you do, you have to get the pic re-sized to 250kb.

If you don't, you have two other options:

1. Download a photo editor - http://www.irfanview.com is a great free package.

2. Use a photo storage website and link your photo from the site to the thread.

http://www.photolocker.net is fabulous. All of my pics (including my sig pic is linked from there.

HTH

Jchillin said:
e burna said:
Where do you get the 65w bulb? I went to the local petstore, and the best bulb I could buy was a 20w.

If you have a standard two-pin head, you could get regular bulbs at any Home Supply store (Home Depot, Lowe's, etc.)

http://www.bigalsonline.com

Has the 65w CF...decent price

Thanks for the advice. Will a "regular" bulb w/more wattage promote plant growth?

Thank you for the info. Still wondering though, will the "regular" store bulbs with higher wattage promote plant growth?

As for plants growth and happy fish, I think there is two issues. All of your fish should be very happy as long as they have some pockets to swim around in except for one. Your angel will likely want a lot of room to roam and develop a territory. I might be wrong but my tank has a lot of plants and my swords and platties love to hide and play in the plants but my cory cats are very unhappy when they don't have a lot of bottom to roam around. Only half of my tank is planted and the other half is open to allow for all of them to be happy. I had plants throughout the tank and a cave and my cats just moped around and didn't play. Now that half the tank is open then never sit still.

OK I figured it out. I posted 3 pix in my gallery so you can see the plants and the whole tank. I don't know the name of the plant that is growing to the surface, but all of them are growing nicely. Except for the 2 lotus, which only give me small leaves.

There is a pic of the whole tank as well so you can comment on the amount of free swimming space. I'm in the process of soaking a piece of drift wood. Once its ready, it will take the place of the pirate ship. The anubia will go on the drift wood.

We are doing renovations to that room (that's why there is a green rag on top of the aquarium). The railing that you see will go to the other side of the stairs to have an unobstructed view of the tank. And eventually that tank will become a 60 gal -the largest I can fit in that space!

I would guess that there is plenty of room for everyone. The bottom might be a little crowded but it is hard to tell. I think the main thing is to make sure the angel isn't having to struggle with the plants to turn around. Just keep areas for all the fish to be happy and have room to be in their own "zone". This should help cut down on agression and competition for space.

Thank you Fish4all! The angel is still pretty small. We should be good for the time being. At least there are no fights yet. :D

Back
Top Bottom