Plants - first time planter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jason19

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,

I've found this forum super helpful for getting my first tank up and running.

I have a few ornaments in my tank but now I feel a few plants may be good as I plan to add some fish in the enar future. Currently, I have a 10G tank with 1 DG and 3 platys. Most likely i'll be adding a few guppies to try not overstock it as per the 1 inch = 1 gallon rule.

My question here is that, what is the best beginner plants? I have read about anubias plants etc. At the moment, I have a plain stone/pebble substrate. Will most plants require a soil bed? Any hints or tips would be great.

Thanks.

Anubias dont require any substrate. You can simply tie or glue (cyanoacrylate) the rhyzome to a piece of rock or driftwood to weight it down. The same with java fern. My java fern just grows and grows, i throw tons of it away. Its bullet proof.

You could eventually fill out a whole tank taking cuttings from a single java fern.

Anubias is a good one-- it's pretty, there's varieties, and it's low light and didn't need much attention. You can fill a tank with anubias and get a nice looking scape (ooh... that's not a bad idea. I may do that...)

Java fern is the same. I just get annoyed with having to plant all the babies when they bud, but I have a Java fern forest in one of my tanks.

There are some stem plants that do all right in pebbles so long as they're gravel sized--elodea/anacharis, bacopa sometimes.

Also floating plants--frogbit, salvinia, water lettuce. I personally avoid duckweed as much as I can because it spreads like crazy-- I'm currently fighting it in one tank where it hitched a ride in on some salvinia *sigh* It's in all 4 that got the salvinia, but it really seems to like one in particular.

Bucephalandra is another option. It's similar to anubias in most ways--low light, attach it to something and don't bury the roots--but a little pricier.

Thanks guys - Aiken Drum, you're like my own personal mentor :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I ordered 1 x anubias, 1 x java fern, 1 x bacopa australis and 1 x bacopa caroliniana. Don't know if this will be plant overkill for a 10g tank but I can always trim them I suppose.

Is there any adverse affects to a tank that plants can cause or are they generally beneficial overall?

Beneficial. Worst that's happened for me with plants is the occasional snail hitchhiker, but I like snails. I have lots. Don't overfeed and the population stays controlled (I say as I eye the snail explosion in my two small tanks and sigh).

There a neat truck with the stem plants-- so your bacopa-- that when you trim them, two stems grow from the cut. Then you can grow them for a bit then trim both stems and have the same response, and so on, and so on. A little work and you can make a bushy stem plant grouping. Just replant the trimmings and they'll continue to grow.

Somehow I missed this trick until recently, so I intend to try it out in the new tank I'm setting up and see if I can get it to work.

Beneficial. Worst that's happened for me with plants is the occasional snail hitchhiker, but I like snails. I have lots. Don't overfeed and the population stays controlled (I say as I eye the snail explosion in my two small tanks and sigh).

There a neat truck with the stem plants-- so your bacopa-- that when you trim them, two stems grow from the cut. Then you can grow them for a bit then trim both stems and have the same response, and so on, and so on. A little work and you can make a bushy stem plant grouping. Just replant the trimmings and they'll continue to grow.

Somehow I missed this trick until recently, so I intend to try it out in the new tank I'm setting up and see if I can get it to work.

Perfect KN. Thanks for the help. This may sound a silly question but can any snails go in an aquarium? Reason I ask is that my house seems to attract an occasional one in the garden and, if it wasn't harmful to the snail or the fish, I wouldn't mind popping them in.

Perfect KN. Thanks for the help. This may sound a silly question but can any snails go in an aquarium? Reason I ask is that my house seems to attract an occasional one in the garden and, if it wasn't harmful to the snail or the fish, I wouldn't mind popping them in.

I don't think land snails do well in aquariums. You need aquatic snails--pond, bladder, ramshorn, Malaysian Trumpet, nerite, mystery, and apple snails are the main ones. The first three are the most common plant hitchhikers.

Back
Top Bottom