Plants for 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Finntastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello, I'm trying to decide what plants I should keep in my 55g community tank. So far I plan on keeping anubias var. Nana, java fern (possibly), star repens, Cryptocoryne spiralis, Aponogeton Crispus, willow moss, christmas moss, and flame moss. The light is a 24/7 Finnex Planted LED, I dose with Flourish twice a week and will he adding leafzone, and PPS-PRO once I order some. The substrate is flourite

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The SR will like some CO2. I have it in both of my tanks and the CO2 makes it lovely green and growth is crazy.

The SR will like some CO2. I have it in both of my tanks and the CO2 makes it lovely green and growth is crazy.

Okay, any carpet plants that would do well without co2?

Monte Carlo can do ok without it but will do much better with.

Okay thank you. I will probably leave the SR there and just see how it does once I get other ferts in the tank. As for other parts of the tank what do you suggest? And I have an idea for this big rock, I want to have flame moss on top of it and weeping moss on the sides with maybe a few anubias.

Attachments

• 1454732039225.jpg
    1454732039225.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 50
  • 1454732067935.jpg
    1454732067935.jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 54
  • 1454732129265.jpg
    1454732129265.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 49
That would be pretty cool.

I can see a little bit of algae growing on the plants there. Any reason you don't want to inject CO2? that would certainly help all the way around.

That would be pretty cool.

I can see a little bit of algae growing on the plants there. Any reason you don't want to inject CO2? that would certainly help all the way around.

I don't want to have co2 just yet bc I really don't have they money to get an entire system and the time to check on it often. I would create a DIY but the co2 levels might fluctuate and knowing me I'd forget to change it. The lighting is also at fault since I used to have it on way over 10 hours a day and I kept forgetting to dose ferts (I am remembering to now) A lot of the algae has deminished since I lowered light time and added more ferts (I dose flourish twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays)

I don't want to have co2 just yet bc I really don't have they money to get an entire system and the time to check on it often. I would create a DIY but the co2 levels might fluctuate and knowing me I'd forget to change it. The lighting is also at fault since I used to have it on way over 10 hours a day and I kept forgetting to dose ferts (I am remembering to now) A lot of the algae has deminished since I lowered light time and added more ferts (I dose flourish twice a week, Tuesdays and Fridays)

I completely understand. CO2 can be expensive to get going. Tank = $80+, regulator w/solenoid = $90+. It's not cheap to get going.

I completely understand. CO2 can be expensive to get going. Tank = $80+, regulator w/solenoid = $90+. It's not cheap to get going.

Yeah and when I'm mainly trying to finish stocking the tank and setting up a pisto tank i have the money just for something else more important. I mean co2 isn't needed and most plants do fine without it

Yeah and when I'm mainly trying to finish stocking the tank and setting up a pisto tank i have the money just for something else more important. I mean co2 isn't needed and most plants do fine without it

That is true.

I'm a nut and love the hightech side of the hobby so I have all the bells and whistles on my tanks. I like having high light and to keep things in check CO2 is a big factor.

That is true.

I'm a nut and love the hightech side of the hobby so I have all the bells and whistles on my tanks. I like having high light and to keep things in check CO2 is a big factor.

I would be there if I had more money, once I get a job though it shouldn't be a problem. So far I'm still in the black and white

I ordered the flame moss for the rock. And I've thought about other plants to add

If you want an interesting plant, try Windelov Java Fern, or even Trident Java Fern. I also recommend plants such as Crypt wendtii (many varieties), Anubias (many different types out there), and Echinodorus sp. for your tank.

Also, I encourage you to look at this thread on TPT. It might give you some ideas.

Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =)
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=99729

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom