Plants for a Beginner

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DreaminginBlue

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi,
I am new and hoping to plant my 26 gallon freshwater tank. I do not have the slightest clue where to begin, or which of the hundreds of plant species to choose. I have gravel as a substrate, and I don't know what kind of light, but the strip has one lighting bulb in it (it could have two, but came with one in the kit).

What plants do you recommend that are hardy and will be easy for a beginner? I'm hoping to beautify and diversify my tank as well as provide hiding places for my critters.

Thanks,
~DreaminginBlue

Hi,
I am new and hoping to plant my 26 gallon freshwater tank. I do not have the slightest clue where to begin, or which of the hundreds of plant species to choose. I have gravel as a substrate, and I don't know what kind of light, but the strip has one lighting bulb in it (it could have two, but came with one in the kit).

What plants do you recommend that are hardy and will be easy for a beginner? I'm hoping to beautify and diversify my tank as well as provide hiding places for my critters.

Thanks,
~DreaminginBlue

Without knowing much about your light, I'd recommend low-light plants such as anubias and java fern and java moss. They're almost bulletproof and still attractive. Just don't plant them into the gravel. Instead, tie or glue them to rocks, wood, or other decorations. (The java moss you could let float, too.)

Anubias, Java Fern, Cryptocoryne, Echinodorus, and Dwarf Sag are all easy low light plants. Bucephalandra is another plant that can be grown in low light, but it needs good conditions to look its best.

For a beginner I highly recommend Water Sprite and Wisteria. They grow like crazy!

Sent from my SM-N920T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yeah, I had Java Ferns in a non-dirted tank and it was literally growing sideways because it's so hardy.

Back
Top Bottom