plants for cold water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

markcarvour

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Didn't know if this question belongs here or in the planted tank section. I need a list of plants that will survive in a tank kept at 50 degrees during the winter. this question probably needs to be answered by someone who has actually done it. that is 50 degrees not 57 or 59 so please no WAGs.

I am going to move this thread to the planted section for some additional insight.

It would be helpful if you can clarify if your seeking plants that will actually grow (and actively use nutrients) at temps of 50f or less or if you are merely seeking plants that may survive at temps this low?

Hardy lilies and parrots feather are the only two the come to mind as survivors of continuous cold temps. Both can be difficult to manage in an aquarium unless it's quite large. Neither will thrive in low temps. Perhaps other members can offer some additional ideas as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have container ponds full of plants and they've been in sub 50 temps for several weeks now off and on. The ponds even froze over earlier this week. The stargrass isn't looking so hot, but most of the other species look just fine. I don't know how 'well' they'd do for months of cold water on end, but we'll see.

I had anubias and swords in my coldwater tank, they grew, but slowly!

Sent per three-eyed raven...

Plants for cold water

What I was trying to get at was what water plants would survive a winter cool down for several months at 50 degrees. I'm setting up a Native American tank with black banded sunfish, tadpole madtoms, and some topwater minnows. I gather from the few responses most plants will go dormant or not do well. I may just use Hobby Lobby deco plants. I did want to go natural as possible but, that might not work well with extended cool period.

Just research what kind of plants live in that region. I'm pretty sure a few of the ludwigia species, hornwort, sag, cabombas, anacharis, as well as a few others would be fine since they experience those temps in the wild. I have blackbanded sunfish also, they are great.

I've kept a Bacopa caroliniana and dwarf sag outdoors (US region 7, mid-Atlantic) year round and both do fine. Both have spent several days to a week or two under ice during the winter. Come spring time neither show any ill effects. Both are US native plants.

Anacharis,hornwort, and parrotfeather are very cold water tolerant so those could work for you

I don't know if anyone said this, but cabomba can be a great addition, and those banana plants, I think.

Back
Top Bottom