Plants for flu all spec 5 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jim532

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a Fluval Spec 5 gallon, with the original LED light that comes with it. I'd like to know what plants can be successfully kept in this tank with the light provided. I also don't really want to use fertilizers since I have cherry shrimps in this tank.

Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Try java fern,anubias,crypt wendti&java moss..as for not using ferts,I wouldn't say it's a no no.I use seachem comp,api leafzone&glut in all of my planted shrimp tanks with no ill effects..in fact they breed like crazy..

Getcha feet wet fish tank people!

I have some java moss in there, I will look into some of the others. I'll be surprised if anything besides java moss grows, the LED doesn't seem like it produces very good light fro plants.

As far as fertilizer goes, I haven't been using it because I was dosing my 40 gal with 3-4 ml of Seachem Flourish once a week, and the next morning would have 5-6 dead shrimp. After the 3rd week it dawned on me what killed and I stopped. I wasn't losing any shrimp after that.

Is it safe to assume that for a 5 gallon tank is it safe to assume .5ml once per week is a safe dosage of Seachem Flourish?

directions say 5ml for 60 gallons once or twice per week

Java Moss
Anubias nana bonzai
Anubias minima
Java fern
Staurogyne Repens
Ludwigia Repens
Rotala Indica
Anacharis
Combomba
Some smaller crypts (for example parva)
CRINUM!!!! Such a sweet plant :)