Plants from Ebay? Any problems?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have an interesting story for you guys. Not exactly eBay, but PayPal.. Which I believe is owned by eBay and has the same "buyers protection."

Anyways... I was selling off my extra flame moss via TPT's classifieds with very clear pictures of 2x2" portions next to rulers and no where in the description did I call them "golf balls." This guy wanted to buy all I had posted, approx. Eight 2x2" portions. He kept PM'ing me and was calling them golf balls, which i corrected him every time and said not golf balls, and was very persistent in trying to low ball me... I finally nudged a bit and drop my final shipped price. I snapped lots of pics before packaging to protect myself.. however, I didn't individually wrap and zip lock each "portion." Instead, I clumped the moss all together, wrapped it in wet paper towel, zip locked, and packed well. Anyways, immediately when this dude received the moss, he PM's me and said I gave him less than what was promised. He had the audacity to ask for a partial refund, which so happens to equate to exactly the "low ball price" he was originally asking. To me this raised a red flag that since he didn't get his way in the initial deal, but still got a discount mind you, that he was going to swindle me one way or the other. This turned into a big mess in which it went into dispute with PayPal. The buyers protection almost always favors the buyer. I wrote to the buyer and PayPal back and forth for a whole week. I showed them pictures of my posts.. then I saw pics of what he submitted to them... He basically squeezed and clumped those eight 2x2" portions into 3 dense looking baseballs.. and said I only sent 3. So at first PayPal said I lost and to refund him... then advised me that I should have individually wrapped and packed each portion separately.

Then, when I thought all was lost and this dude scammed me into free moss... I called one more time to argue to PayPal customer service. It turns out I won this case after all.

Why? Well... guess what? Buyer's protection does not cover you from live plants or animals. So the moss was not covered.

There's always 2 sides to a story. Different perspectives. I'm not sure if this guy had a distorted vision of what to expect (he did have a large amount of broken English in our exchange of words) or if he was legitimately trying to scam me. But I know I didn't do anything wrong and I was more than fair. I have a very good 100% pTrader rating in TPT to prove that. Just be careful... Because it's not only buyer beware, but seller too.

Lastly, I just want to say... most people in this hobby have been great and trustworthy. There's always just those few rotten eggs that want to ruin it all.

Sorry for the long story... But it was my one stressful thorn in my heel I thought I should share to help you become a better buyer or seller in this fine hobby.

Last edited:
Why? Well... guess what? Buyer's protection does not cover you from live plants or animals. So the moss was not covered.
That's an interesting point. I do not believe or I hope that this is not unqualified.

I hope that a Seller who states 'guaranteed to arrive alive" is held to that qualification. I hope that a Seller who states "rooted plants" is held to that qualification and that we don't receive an un-rooted stem. I hope that a Seller that tells us we are buying a 10" plant is held to that claim and cannot send us a 5" without repercussions.

It is my believe that we would all suffer if there was no guarantee on any plant deals. Like Brian, I believe most people involved with the aquarium and aqua plant hobby are good people, but as in anything involving money there will always be those who mislead or take advantage.

I may draft a letter to Paypal and ask if Sellers advertised claims are enforceable on live plants.

MeCasa

Back
Top Bottom