Plants goldies won't destroy/ways to prevent goldies destroying plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've got a tank of goldies, and they destroy or uproot (depending on stalk strength) every plant I put in the tank. What plants will stand up to goldies? Is there any way I can prevent them from uprooting/destroying plants? I tried putting the frequently uprooted ones (as opposed to the ones they just rip to shreds) in small glass containers with rocks over the substrate, but the plants have smooth stems and the fish just pulled them right out from between the rocks.

Last edited:
Are you planting stems or rooted plants? If it's stems, plant them deeper. Take off the lower leaves and get them deeper in the substrate. Then protect them with larger river stones and rocks around the planting area. Find a piece of cool driftwood that has some bend at the bottom. Use it creatively as a barrier.

Use java fern and anubias - tied to driftwood and rocks. Anubias leaves are too tough for them to eat, and if you tie in on well enough, they can't carry them around.

Java fern must be bitter. I have some rooted in a mat, and the mat is held down on two corners with rocks.

My crypt is buried deeply.
73133-albums11916-picture53264.jpg

Anubias on driftwood
73133-albums11916-picture53265.jpg

Java fern
73133-albums11916-picture53266.jpg

You can have a planted tank with goldies, but you have to be realistic. No dwarf baby tears, or other delicate plants. Accept that there will be some collateral damage. My fish can't uproot my giant hygro, but they are munching out on it. When it gets too ragged, I'll remove or replace it.

Let them eat the anacharis - float it so they can. Distract them with inexpensive floating plants like anacharis, pennywort, etc.

My planted tank.
73133-albums11882-picture52998.jpg

I've got two large goldie tanks and found the four plants they don't munch on are Swords, crypts, java ferns (regular and wendilov) and anubia's. Other plants I use in there are Corkscrew vals, dwarf sag, narrowleaf temple, and ambulia but these plants do get munched on. I hold all the plants in my goldie tank down with these... Professional Plant Anchors (on sale)(reg. $2.29). They are the only anchors I've ever found to actually work in a goldie tank.

Something else, if you feed your goldies alot of veggies and fruits they tend to leave plants alone alot better. My goldies favorites are cooked, deshelled peas, blanched zucchini, and water melon. They eat just about anything so you have alot of options. It really does help and it's good for them.

Cool thread, i will be following it. I just setup a tank of Fantail fancies and i also have a tank with some small koi in it. Just a off the wall question but how do you deshell a pea? like the peas you get in a can? Last time i had goldfish they ate all my duckweed practically overnight, lol. Do they leave all big leaved plants alone? or just the ones mentioned?

Matt, start with frozen peas. While still frozen, tear the skin off. Just get a little rip started, and it'll peel right off. Then break them in half, cut them smaller if needed for your fish, and if they're still frozen, zap 'em for a few seconds.

Goldies will nibble on just about any plant and moss. The ones I listed are the only ones I've found the goldies don't mess with. I usually put trimmings in their tanks from the 220g and let them feast.

Don't use canned veggies because of the salt content, frozen is the way to go. For me I put frozen peas in water, nuke them, let them sit about 15 or so minutes, then just squeeze to pop the shells off them. I give the peas as is unless they are really small goldies and in that case I just squish them a touch. Duckweed is a treat they get during the summer months when I can grow it outside in a container.

Back
Top Bottom