Plants okay mid cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I personally did a fishless cycle and adding plants midway threw really got things going. As far as I'm concerned thats probably one of the best things you can do. Plants take up ammonia and they compete with the Bac. for it so I wouldn't fully stock your tank but adding a piece of a fast growing plant like Hornwart will help in 2 ways. It will likely contain lots of Nitrifiying Bac. from the tank it came from and it will compete with any algae you have coming in from your cycle. Hope that helps!

i just added my plants midcycle too, from everyone i asked, they said that adding plants would def help.

I dont know if it's noticeable how much the plants will actually help with ammonia, but they will definitely eat up your nitrates depending on how many plants you have. But you can definitely plant them, Ammonia doesn't hurt them at allZ

You'll need to watch your ammonia levels, as some plants will preferentially absorb ammonia rather than nitrate. Plants wont affect the speed of a cycle one way or another, but you'll give the plants a leg up in getting established.

But really, Java fern's not going to make a difference.

aqua_chem said:
You'll need to watch your ammonia levels, as some plants will preferentially absorb ammonia rather than nitrate. Plants wont affect the speed of a cycle one way or another, but you'll give the plants a leg up in getting established.

But really, Java fern's not going to make a difference.

Which plants suck up ammonia? I want them. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom