Plants on Rocks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

uscamaro

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I just set up a few pieces of slate and was wondering if there are any plants out there that don't need substrate and will just grow on the rocks... any will do.

Java Fern is great. Tie it down and you're good to go. Java Moss can be done the same way.

do not forget Planticus plasticus and Planticus silkcus ;)

java fern/moss and anubis work great!

Ferns[Java Fern(All Varieties), Bolbitis], Mosses(Including Fissidens), Pellia(and all its varients and subwassertang), Anubias.

If you have some porous rock (such as lace rock), you can get Cryptocoryne wendtii to grow epiphytically with little trouble. I've also had decent luck growing Hemianthus callitrichoides (HC) and Glosso on wood. Of course Riccia can be attached to just about anything given enough thread/netting/mesh. Hydrocotyle leucocephala (pennywort) can be encouraged to climb like a vine. I've got it growing around my filter intakes and out the top of my tank right now. Ranunculus inundatus will also grow up, over, and around just about anything you put in its way :)

I was looking at a few of those plants and was wondering if they are easy to control (or how fast do they grow?). I mean, I don't want to go away for a weekend and come back to a planted tank.

Almost no plants are going to overrun you in a weekend. Java Moss and Java Fern are pretty easily managed.

Back
Top Bottom