Plants or no plants ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

philip0381

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been told that planting live plants in the tank isnt a good idea because the water gets full of ammonia ,and it increases the ph.
What do you think?

I have been told that planting live plants in the tank isnt a good idea because the water gets full of ammonia ,and it increases the ph.
What do you think?
Plants are very healthy for fish and shrimp. Most dont heavily effect ph and if you have an amonia problem i would opt to buy something like seachem prime. There also products to lower or raise ph if youre struggling. Plants are very good additions to tanks for aesthetic as well as practicality as they can reduce stress on fish and shrimp too

Plants are very healthy for fish and shrimp. Most dont heavily effect ph and if you have an amonia problem i would opt to buy something like seachem prime. There also products to lower or raise ph if youre struggling. Plants are very good additions to tanks for aesthetic as well as practicality as they can reduce stress on fish and shrimp too
Ok thank you [emoji4]

Hello Phil...

Plants help steady the water chemistry by using forms of nitrogen for food. Using house plants in the tank like Chinese Evergreen will do the best job of removing nitrogen from the water. It's a natural filtration system, so you can use simple sponge filters to aerate the water. The added benefit is, you can set up larger tanks at a much reduced cost and not have to fiddle with expensive filtering systems.

B

Hello Phil...

Plants help steady the water chemistry by using forms of nitrogen for food. Using house plants in the tank like Chinese Evergreen will do the best job of removing nitrogen from the water. It's a natural filtration system, so you can use simple sponge filters to aerate the water. The added benefit is, you can set up larger tanks at a much reduced cost and not have to fiddle with expensive filtering systems.

B
Thanks for the advice bbradbury [emoji4]

Plants, always always plants. (Assuming you're getting plants that can live submersed--don't plant the aquarium with house plants!)

that was one of the most ridiculous things anyone could of told you. I'm curious to know who fed you that BS

The only thing that increases ammonia is failed cycling and failed maintenance

doesn't matter if it plants or no plants.... its all about maintaining your tank

that was one of the most ridiculous things anyone could of told you. I'm curious to know who fed you that BS

The only thing that increases ammonia is failed cycling and failed maintenance

doesn't matter if it plants or no plants.... its all about maintaining your tank
Agree 100%, that advice was rubish.
I would remember who gave it for the future.:wink:wink:

What do you think?

Pish and tosh. Piffle, even. ;)

Live plants are great for a tank, unless you have fish that like to destroy them. They help purify the water, they look great, and it's a more natural environment for your fish. Just stay away from houseplants sold as aquarium plants -- they won't do well.

Easy plants for a beginner to keep are anubias and java fern. With just these two, you can have a great-looking tank.

IMG_20170901_104624302.jpg There are some exceptions for house plants. Pothos are great at cleaning your water. As you can see here they are thriving in my 35 gal hex. Just take a long cutting. Place the stem in the water but leave the leaves above water

There are exceptions for the house plant rule. Pothos are great at cleaning water. As you can see here they are thriving in my 35 gal hex. Just take a cutting place the stem in the water and leave the leaves above water. Pretty soon you will see roots starting to grow. That's all there is to it.IMG_20170901_104624302.jpg

There are exceptions for the house plant rule. Pothos are great at cleaning water. As you can see here they are thriving in my 35 gal hex. Just take a cutting place the stem in the water and leave the leaves above water. Pretty soon you will see roots starting to grow. That's all there is to it.View attachment 303329
Nice tank !

Back
Top Bottom