Plants should be happy but are my fish safe?!?!?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Tank #1
Initial Now
KH - 8 KH - 8
pH - 7.2 pH - 6.7
GH - 12 GH - 12
CO2 38-60 ppm
Tank # 2
Initial Now
KH - 8 KH - 9
pH - 7.0 pH - 6.5
GH - 12 GH - 12
CO2 68-107 ppm
Big swings and I would assume since all I did was put the CO2 into the intake of my AC that I have another buffer acting here. I doubt my CO2 levels could be even close to that high without pressurized.

I hope my fish don't suffer. They are not gasping but actually acting like they are a little more comfortable than before. Slower breathing and just a little clamer, might be like a sedative to them but I hope not 8O

I can say this with some resolve, if you need more CO2 and can't afford pressurized, put it into your AC intake, what a difference. Now I just hope my plants like it and my fish don't start dying on me.

There's a very succesful group of folks in this hobby who'll keep cranking CO2 whenever there's an issue but the fish aren't gasping :) The fish may even be more comfortable because of the increased oxygen production from the plants. FWIW, I think your plan of watching the fish is perfect. As you know, worst case scenario is you add an airstone at night.

To determine if there is a buffer pressent which is throwing off your results, just test some tap water (assuming that you're using tap water for your tanks) which has been sitting for 24hrs or has been aerated for an hour. You should have CO2 levels around 3ppm. If it's quite a bit higher than this you've probably got a buffer messing up you results.

It is possible to see this kind of improvement when switching from a passive diffusion method to an active diffusion method like using your AC as a diffuser.

Well I turned off the CO2 last night in order to protect them.
Reading this morning were
Tank 1 Tank 2
pH 7.0 7.0
KH 9 9

Will test it again to see what the levels are in about 5 hours and then tonight before I shut if off again.

Thanks CZCZ, at least I know I am making the right observations if not doing everything right with the CO2 quite yet.

I will test my water today, just to make sure. I didn't think 60ppm was possible without compressed CO2.

Back
Top Bottom