plants stopped growing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikemou

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi my japanese dwarf rush stopped growing for a month now. i don't think it's dying except occasional leave decaying. almost all leave tips turned dark brown/black. my floating anacharis stopped growing about two weeks ago as well.
it's a 55 gal with 2 20W strip lights and regular gravel. my other plants, java fern, wentii red and cardamine(i think) are doing just fine.
i currently have about 25 inches of bioload in there.
i hope those plants aren't dying.... thanks for your help.

I think you need a lot more light as you are less than a watt per gallon. Two per gallon is a minimum for low light plants IMO. Check out AH Supply for the best value on PC lights. http://www.ahsupply.com/index.html

Since AH Supply lights have a 60% brighter reflector you can get by with less wattage, but you will have to calculate accordingly. Also, Are you dosing any ferts such as potassium, iron, micro nutrients (like Seachem's Flourish) With brighter lighting you might consider injecting CO2 as well. HTH. Bob

sword plants definitely need 2wpg or more to really thrive.
they also need ferts added around their roots (heavy, heavy root feeders)

I think that Japanese dwarf rush is not a true aquatic plant. If so it will die submerged.

You need more light at least 2WPG for low light plants so for a 55G tank that would be 110 watts.

Plain gravel you need to add root tabs. But you first need to get more light since it is the most important factor in growing plants.

Back
Top Bottom