Plants suddenly dying in strange pattern

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AquaNewb

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So my ammania sp bonsai suddenly started to die. But they die as if they are catching a disease and spreading it. First the plants on teh right turned brown, now they are mush. Then the plants to their left turned brown. Then the plant closest to that turned brown. Until they start quickly turning brown, they are completely green. I have others in the tank that are very green. This has happened over the course of only 2 days

Has anyone seen this before. Should I removed these "diseased" plants?

I use Eco complete substrate with sand cap/mix. I dose half mL of excel every 3 days (10 gallon) trying to go slow and flourish every other week little less than half mL. The tank is cycling and I had done water changes to bring nitrites/nitrates down, which were very,very high. They are still high but now at least nitrate readable. But for this, I still don't understand why they don't all melt at once. I use lights 9 - 9.5 hours 2 13 watt CFL. Low for this plant maybe but am not convinced it would make plant die this way

Attachments

• IMG_0209.JPG
    IMG_0209.JPG
    171.7 KB · Views: 52
I dont know the plant but....whoever helps you are going to want to know your tank set up, parameters, photo period, co2, ferts ect... Looks like melt. I never even heard of that plant. Heading to google to check it out.

Is all that wispy stuff on it hair algae? Or staghorn? If it is algae then it's just choking the plant to death as it will steal all the nutrients off the plant

I have had mild algae outbreaks (brown and very recently green hair) but I think that the wisp is neither and is just the plant disintegrating. Maybe it is fungus - there was a shrimp in tank for cycling

It seems similar to bacopa. Bacopa is notorious for melting. Id leave it be as long as you can then cut it back. I bet it regrows.

I just noticed a few snails in my aquarium today. I wonder if the plants died from some damage from the snails? Which maybe explains why there is no damage to the other plants if it is not parameter or light damage

Probably pest snails. They only eat dead or dying plant material.

Back
Top Bottom