Plants that don't need CO2, fertilizer, or special substrates

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saradomin

Aquarium Advice Regular
I want to try one plant in my cichlid tank that does not need anything special. The fish may eventually dig it out, but I want to give it one try.

I would go for a Java Fern or Anubias attached to a rock. Can't dig that up.

I believe it is best to have more plants than a few so the effects of a nibble here and nibble there won't be as noticeable.

I'm guessing the cichlids will probably tear them up, regardless. Really just depends.

Does Amazon sword need any special care? Plants in my cichlid tank will be more of an experiment than anything.

I had a Rose Sword that did wonderfully in gravel with root tabs, and a little fertilizer here and there, no CO2, low light. No special care other than pruning a couple leaves off here and there. Super easy.

If you want a sword, I would suggest that one. I actually removed several leaves that were 12-18 inches monthly.

Plants to Try

I want to try one plant in my cichlid tank that does not need anything special. The fish may eventually dig it out, but I want to give it one try.

Hello sar...

There are several you can try, Anubias nana and nangi, Banana, Onion, Amazon sword and Java fern. You can pot the Amazon sword, so the more aggressive fish have to really work to dig it up. Some fish won't be able to do it.

If you want to get a bit more creative, then emerse the roots of the Peace Lily and Chinese evergreen.

B

I heard these plants can contain invasive snails. Is there a way that they can be eliminated. The last thing I would want is an infestation.

I have heard a quick H2O2 dip kills off most hitch hikers. Rinse in clean water though afterwards

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I heard these plants can contain invasive snails. Is there a way that they can be eliminated. The last thing I would want is an infestation.

Plants can contain snails, planaria, hydra, various crustaceans and aquatic insects, worms, and algae. A dip in bleach or hydrogen peroxide (don't know the strength and duration of the soak) should remove any hitchhikers.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom