Plants turning yellow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eggie100

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I had started a new 26 gal tank about 5 weeks ago. The water seems to be cycled now. I've added a few of my old fish into the new tank about 2 weeks ago. The fish seem to be fine and I've had my water tested. The ph is 7.6, nitrate is 0, nitrite is 0, ammonia is 0, phosphate is 0.

I've added some cabombas, vals, a large sword, and some red strictas to start. They are now starting to turn a bit yellow. My lighting is about 2.1 watts per gallon.

Are my lights ok? Do I need to add fertilizer? If so, what kind? Am I missing something in the water treatment?

Thanks in advanced.

Nitrate 0 is an indication, but it can also mean low iron. I third the above suggestion :wink:

you may not have enough light or co2 for the cabomba.

try a little trace mix and iron once a week to see if that doesn't help some (remember I said a little... start at a lower than suggested amount to avoid algae.) Iron is usually deficient in yellowing plants, but IME, i've found a general nutrient deficiency will do the same thing sometimes.

are all your plants yellowing? just a few? are they growing at all?

I would only add that medge's suggestion to 'start at a lower than suggested amount to avoid algae' is a really good one.
You have a relatively low light level and you want to feed your plants an amount that they can absorb without having too much excess in the water table. As time goes on, and you learn your tank's needs, you can adjust upward if necessary.

Len

Back
Top Bottom