Plants unplanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishyfanatic

Aquarium Advice Addict
I am going to a new fish store tonight and was going to try and locate some Java Ferns or Crypts. I won't be going home until Friday night. If I do find some plants, would it be fine to buy them and leave them in the plastic bag until Friday night? Or would they have to be immediately planted? If they have to be put into a tank, I was thinking of just plopping them in my brothers 10 gal tank until Friday. Would I need to suppliment the plants with anything or should they be fine until I get home? The only inhabitants in the 10 gal are 2 Guppies.

they should be fine. you should open the plastic bag though. might "suffocate"

It also may depends on the specific plants. Since I'm not an expert with these plants, I can't tell. From my experiences with other water plants, it's best to, at the very least, keep the roots damp. I've kept anacharis and hornwort out of water for roughly 24 hours by keeping them wrapped loosely in a soaked paper towel, changed as needed. I didn't supplement with anything either. Of course, keep them out of direct light, make sure they have an air supply, and aren't allowed to dry out.

So if I filled the bag 1/2 full of water and left the top open, they should be fine? Does the water need to be dechlorinated tap water or could it just be tap water? My parents have a well and don't use Chlorine.

You should be alright with that. You may lose any part that is above the water line though. This will really depend on the plant though (does it thrive via a root system or from its leaves?). You may want to replace the water once or twice a day, just to add new nutrients from the stale water (not that water goes stale that quickly). I've had success with both city water and well water for growing plants, but haven't ever tried well water for transporting/holding.

You could have used saturated paper towels or newspaper instead. I've recieved numerous plants shipped in that fashion as was able to let them sit that way for a couple of days until I planted them. Just check the moisture level and replenish as necessary.

Thanks guys! I was supposed to go today to the fish store, but it won't be until tomorrow evening. So two and a half days shouldn't be too bad on them.

I agree with everyone -- you could either put water in the bag (I would use dechlorinated water) or just wet paper towels, dampened as needed. My hatchery puts plants in bags without water. One time, not quite on purpose, I let crypts sit in the bag with no water all weekend, and they were fine. I put my new plants in a critter keeper with one of those 7.5 watt heaters (the heater isn't absolutely necessary) for a few days to a week to let the snails crawl off. Also, a snail is easier to find in a little critter keeper than the tank! So either way that you decide to keep the plants before putting them in the tank will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom