plants w/o fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Daymine

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I had some java fern that I didn't know what to do with. I thought it would be a good idea to put it in a jar and leave them outside to grow but within a week they were all dead, I assume from lack of co2.
What can i do to avoid this?

Hi could have been a few different reasons? Temperature fluctuating to much daytime/night time? Lack of light?{unlikely} Lack of nutrients in the water? Did you use water from your fish tank? Also i believe java ferns need to be fixed to something like wood or rocks?

Yeah I was trying to get them to attach to rocks. I assume it probably had something to do with all of those things lol. I did use water from my fishtank btw

There is a good chance that they were killed by too much light. I have had similar results with other plants, that need more light than Java ferns.

It was an open container and I added some seachem flourish too it

Flourish only contains micronutrients. Your plant probably starved from a lack of macronutrients, such as nitrate and phosphate.

My guess was a sever shock from direct sunlight burned their delicate state, just like hardening off plants/veggies from a nursery to plant out side, they are used to a set temperature and amount of light, then BAM!

Water in a jar can intensify the sunlight and /heat up much higher than the ambient temp.

Too cold at night?

Also light requirements are sometimes a plant may need very bright light, but not direct light!

I grew a big ball of Java Fern in a spare 1.5g tank. No light other than a table lamp (not shining at the tank, just next to it) and no fish. I had a Betta in there at one point. I had some MTS. I have a tiny Anubias in there also. My Java Fern ball got bigger till it was filling the whole tank. I took most of it out and took it to a local SVAS auction with proceeds going to MY club SFBAAPS. I ended up donating a baseball sized wad of Java Fern.

I left a small bit behind to start another ball of Java Moss growing. I too think your Moss may have died due to the direct sunlight either heating or frying the Moss in some way. :(

I had java fern, not moss. but I agree that that probably is what did it in. Lesson learned I suppose

I've never heard of and actual case of light causing plant death, but I have seen blamed several times. Heat/cold is a much more likely candidate.

Back
Top Bottom