Plating a 5 gallon.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

not-pro

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey all, a quick question regarding a planted 5 gallon. My understanding is that co2 raises ph slightly, and since my ph is already quite high I was wondering if it's okay to work without a Co2 system and see if the natural CO2 levels would be sufficient for the plants.

Of course, I'd happily add a lower end CO2 system if it proved to be insufficient.

This hobby is really annoying; first I get told to buy an aquaclear, then I'm told to go planted, which the aquaclear according to my reading is adverse for... and now I'm looking into it, and one of the best solutions is sugar, yeast, and some tubing... but I don't want something so unprofessional/ugly.

Amazon.com: Hagen Nutrafin CO2 Natural Plant System with CO2 Activator and Stabilizer: Pet Supplies

Would that be sufficient for a 5 gallon tank if I needed to add co2?

First off, CO2 lowers pH, not raises it.

Second, making your own DIY CO2 setup is much, much cheaper than the preassembled rigs that you see at fish stores.

Thirds, 5g is a good size for DIY CO2.

Finally, an Aquaclear filter will be fine with CO2 as long as you keep the tank filled enough that the output isn't causing significant surface disturbance.

I will also add that probably the best way to get pH down in situations with high pH tap water is to start using a mixture of tank water and RODI water for water changes. In a small tank like a 5g, this could be done fairly easily without having to invest in an RODI system. That being said, the number of situations where high pH is actually detrimental to either the fish or plants is extremely limited, and outside what most aquarist will see in their tanks.

Last edited:
First off, CO2 lowers pH, not raises it.

Second, making your own DIY CO2 setup is much, much cheaper than the preassembled rigs that you see at fish stores.

Thirds, 5g is a good size for DIY CO2.

I don't like the idea of diy in this regard. I'm switching to plants for a clean/professional look, and a pop bottle behind my tank won't do it. I'm open to other options, however!

Though it would limit the type of plants you could get, using liquid carbon would be pretty effective in a small tank like yours. Is deffinately. Of better than real co2 but if you dont want t go DIY then it might be worth trying. I suggest flourish excel by seachem

I'll start off without anything, and if I find I'm limited I'll grow into CO2.

Back
Top Bottom