Please help! Extremly cloud water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

garylee2112

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've set up my planted tank for about three months, and the water has recently been really cloudy. At first I thought it was a bacterial bloom, but it hasnt cleared up and it's been more than a week. What do I do? I've don't water changes once a week.

Attachments

• image-1181171792.jpg
    image-1181171792.jpg
    81.1 KB · Views: 82
It looks to me like a bacterial/alge bloom. When I had one a blackout for a couple of days helped and lots of water changes. It took a couple of weeks but all cleared up eventually :)

I'm afraid that once I do water changes it'll just take longer since the bacteria is wanting to set in. Does anyone know whether this is algae or bacteria?

I believe white = bacteria and green = algae

I have my lighting on for 10 hours, and I have 80 watts for my 50 gallon. It receives little to no sunlight. What should I do?

Search for "green water" and you will find many posts about this condition and how to resolve it.

I have had it once and used a filter with DE in it to filter out the algae.

A friend of mine has said to put some clean cotton wool in the filter! This will help collect the algae! It gonna be a big job but continually change the cotton will coz it will continually go green! Also when he had greenish water- he continually did water changes and eventually it gets better! It's gonna take some time but eventually it will work! Good luck

This is what mine tank used to look like

image-2025667682.jpg

Just do like a big 80-90% water change and it should clear it up for you, just make sure to use something like stress coat after to reduce the stress involved for the fish by doing such a big water change.

What type of lighting are you using t8, t5ho, PC, etc? 80 watts doesn't mean anything really. IME green water outbreaks are caused by too much light.

What type of lighting are you using t8, t5ho, PC, etc? 80 watts doesn't mean anything really. IME green water outbreaks are caused by too much light.

No matter how much light you have, you have to have the nutrients avalible for the algae to consume or else there wouldn't have been an outbreak.

All you need is some light and NH3. If there is an abundance of ammonia and you have an energy source (light), you will have this condition.

Back
Top Bottom