Please tell me this is OK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

QuantumCranker

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I set up my new 55G last night that is to be my first REAL attempt at a planted tank. I spread the laterite, added gravel and mixed it, then added the rest of the gravel on top. I filled it with water and got the magnum 350 circulating. (Empty media container, just moving water) My intentions were to purchase and add some plants and a filter sleeve i tomorrow to get it started. Unfortunatly I have been called out of town for a minimum of 3 days for work.
So what I have is the tank as described with 4 X 40 watt 6500K canopy, CO2 system ready to go. (both off ofcourse for now) Just the pump circulating the water at almost reef tank speed due to the empty can. Is this ok to leave for a few days until I can get back at it? What do you suggest I do? My wife will be in and out as usual but she's kinda skiddish about all that hi-tech gadgetry and wants to wait for me so we can do it together. Am I safe or have I really got a mess on my hands?

I will have access to the web so I'll check responses and try to tell her what, if anything, she should do while I'm gone.
TIA !
Randy

I don't see any potential problems as long as your laterite is staying where it is supposed to. If it was a used tank tank I would worry about leaks but buckets and a mop aren't high tech. I was going to phrase that a different way but I feared reprisal from every woman who read it. It sounded really sexist. I don't know why I am telling you this. I will shut up...now.

If there's nothing living in the tank the water won't foul in three days. If it makes you feel better turn the magnum off until you return. :wink:

in fact, if you want, toss a cocktail shrimp into the tank (raw, not cooked). it'll help start the cycling process while you're gone. if you don't have shrimp, toss in some fish food.

either way, the tank will be fine running like that for 3 days...and I'd let the filter run.

Don't I need to wait til it's planted to start the cycle? I have well water with an average PH of 6.5, no amonia and mid-range KH. Which brings me to another question. With a PH that low out of the tap, and if I understand right, CO2 lowers PH, how do I keep from going drastically low?

Back
Top Bottom