please tell me what this is I went and asked for hornwort

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

motherspice

Aquarium Advice Activist
the plant hornwot at least thats what I hope it is.....please tell me its what I bought
img_885131_0_1603465b275e5cc2496c0a97263f3594.jpg

img_885131_1_e738ed0a0bfe8dc6c2d7c858cee53d38.jpg

img_885131_2_bd19d2a04a3e2d0e2a7e0972b859cca3.jpg

Tried to get good pics
Drove 45 minutes each way..... 1st it dont float......so it had weights she said so I wut the weights back on some piece of metal then there was some pieces floating around tried to get it all out ........should I take the ?weights off?

I took it out and did a quick vac. removed 3 gals of water, was not happy with the plant there were pieces of that plant all in my tank either is was not a hornwort or it was a not healthy one, either way my fish dont need that nor do I need the stress

I was considering hornwort since thats one of the few that is available at my LFS. I'm pretty sure I read a couple places that it makes a mess in your tank as the leaves fall of and go all over.

Hornwort when it is healthy is a fast growing floating plant. It can loose some parts of the plant. The plant in your pic doesn't look a lot like hornwort but pictures can be difficult to tell.

If that is hornwort, it is a ratty looking one! I suspect that it is light & nutrient deprived.

My hornwort only drops leaves when it is dying - eg when I dosed with Excel to try to control BBA. You need a fair amount of light to keep it happy, and it needs a bit of nitrates. You can try floating it so it will get more light. Once it is healthy, you can try planting it again.

I have hornwort in mine and it is growing pretty well and not leaving too much of a mess. It has grown a lot and about 5-6" of it is floating on the top of the water. That is where my newly discovered 2 female red cherry shrimp have been hiding...lol

The plant in the 1st pic and on the left in the 2nd is indeed hornwort, though I agree it looks a tad unhealthy. Once it gets used to your lighting and tank, it should take off.

If it was a large plant it may not float. Cut some pieces off and let them float if you want some floating. :)

i had some brought home put in tank in 5 min made big mess i net up toss out 10 min later ...glad was on sale

Back
Top Bottom