Pleco in Planted Tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeriousDude5

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I;ve decided to go ahead and attempt to put some plants in my tank simple plants like java fern and java moss. I was wondering if a comon pleco will eat these plants? This is my first shot at plants and I do not yet have a pleco in the tank however the driftwood is starting to turn green with algea :(

He won't "eat" them, but he may munch on them for algae causing damage. (I have a 14" sailfin in a planted tank)..

If you are looking for a pleco, try getting a Bristle nose pleco, they stay relatively small, love algae and don't damage much of anything..

+1 on the BN pleco. I have one in all 3 of my tanks. Get a grown one if you can (4" or so) because IME they grow really slow as in 1/2" a year. Anyone else experienced really slow growth on BNs or is mine a runt?

I'll make it unanimous with the BN.

Hoovercat said:
+1 on the BN pleco. I have one in all 3 of my tanks. Get a grown one if you can (4" or so) because IME they grow really slow as in 1/2" a year. Anyone else experienced really slow growth on BNs or is mine a runt?

I have two runts and it's not uncommon with them. BrianNY and I have been discussing dwarfism in the ancistrus sp for quite some time. No conclusions have been drawn as yet.

I have a BN in my planted tank too. It eats algae most of the time an loves a piece of wood.

My sisters was really small when it was bought (didn't even have the "beard" yet). It's been about 6 months and it's now ~ 3" with the tail.. (she had a lot of "food" and no one to compete for it.)

Albino BN's generally stay much smaller than their normal colored counterparts. Everyone that I have spoken to suggests that they will be full grown in about 6 months. My albino's just had their first successful spawn, and I now have 16 fry that I could find and catch. The parents are between 2 & 3 inches and between the two, keep my heavily planted 75 gallon tank beautifully algae free. Awesome little fish!

Back
Top Bottom