Plentiful Pictures of Pearling Plants [*Bandwidth Warning*]

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i need to up my co2 then. what test kit ready the co2? i just bought the aquarium pharmasuticles master test kit so i hope it is in there. thanks again.

What is the needle leaved plant behind Echindorus quadricostatus? Is it best to start epiphytic crypt growth with a young plant or a mature one? Thank you.

Thanks everyone, for the kind comments. It's always nice to know that people like what you've done :D

The needle-leaved plant is Didiplis diandra. It's fairly green right now and I've never had much luck getting the tips to blush or turn red, so it's probably going to remain fairly green :p

I started the Crypt growing on the rock as a young specimen. I anchored it in a pocket on the rock using a little substrate. The rock is very porous and the Crypt has grown a root system all the way through it and out the back side. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if it actually has some roots down into the substrate now. I know there is no way I could move it without literally tearing it off of the rock. It is stuck down well :)

Travis......thx for pointing me here......I've been eagerly awaiting more pics of your tank. And again I am stunned by the perfection of your tank.
I've even got one of your pics from another thread as my desktop wallpaper.

I am gonna go buy a 92 corner soon........and if I can do even half as well with my tank as you have done with yours I will be completely content.

Thx again for the update.

Hey more questions but about your tank this time...
What are you using as the ground cover? I like it a lot, do you have any other ground cover plants you could suggest?

Right now I'm experimenting with using a plant called Pogostemon helferi (aka "Downoi") as a ground cover. I'm not sure too many people have tried it before and can't recommend it yet. I'm still working things out :) You will probably have a hard time finding enough of it if you want to try this, but if my experiment works out I will have it a-plenty :)

Good ground cover usually requires high lighting and CO2, so be prepared.

Pogostemon helferi is this plant correct ?

Ranunculus.jpg

Does it spread with runners?

Why can't u recommend it? It seems to be doing very well in your tank.

GlitcH said:
Pogostemon helferi is this plant correct ?

Ranunculus.jpg

Does it spread with runners?

Why can't u recommend it? It seems to be doing very well in your tank.

That's it, yes. It is very hard to find right now, and not a lot is known about what kind of conditions it prefers so I can't give you a lot of advice about it. All I know is that it apparently doesn't mind hard water very much and is a slow grower :)

Good ground cover usually requires high lighting and CO2, so be prepared.
I'm looking for ground covers for my new 50gal. Its not set up yet, but I have a 2 CF bulb light strip, and have everything set up for pressurized CO2 minus the tank. I'm still looking around for a decent priced one.
Do you have suggestions for a different kind of ground cover? I noticed in your gallery you have a different kind of ground cover in some of the pics.

Most carpet plants grow very quickly and require trimming/replanting every couple of months. This got to be more than I wanted to do so I started looking for a good slow-growing ground cover plant. P. helferi seems to be just the ticket, although it is almost too slow-growing in my tank. Once I get it to achieve a good thick ground cover I suspect I will be able to keep it that way nearly indefinitely with only minor occasional trimming. That's my goal anyway.

If you're looking for a good, easy to grow carpet plant, you should check out Elatine triandra. It covers like Glosso does, but grows even more quickly. Very pretty coloration too.

Your pics are awesome, and even better is your choice of mixing. and placement!! The comment about the TV and marriage would work out ok here, as wife Nancy takes great interest in this addiction[hobbie]. And given the current selection of crap on the boob tube...I think we're all better off peering into the abbys and taking in the soul cleansing stress relief of these living envirnments.......and without disclaimers of side effects!

What exactly is 'Pealing' other than the obvious sight of air bubbles on the leaves and stems? I'm sure it's a good thing.

What size tank are these great plants and fish enjoying?

Thanks

Dave

In case you haven't heard it enough....that is a truly awesome master piece you have created!

OMG thats amazing i really want some of those plants and i want that tank!! what size is it, how long did it take to set up and why have i never seen that tank before!!

Back
Top Bottom