plumbing / filter question... and lighting!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tbonem91

Aquarium Advice FINatic
in a recent reaction to my insane amount of equipment along the back wall of my planted 20, I started thinking about swapping out my filters for a canister and swapping out my heaters for an inline model.

I'm thinking about plumbling the canister output to the input of my CO2 reactor, then the output of the reactor to the heater... then to the tank

What canister would be recommended for a planted 20 long and what heater? Would the canister pump be sufficient for flow? and would it fit with my 1/2" tubing going into/out of my reactor? would I need to split the filter output into 2 lines and run one to the reacotr and one to the filter?

I'd also like to upgrade my lighting - I've currently got a double strip setup running 40w and I'd like to get a triple or quad tube light so that I can add some actinic or 50/50s to it for the coloring. my goal is to only have around 3wpg daylight lighting... in looking at all the fixtures and semi-lack of measurements I have become a little overwhelmed.

I'd like to have a light that stands off of my tank on feet but in searching bigals and drsfostersmith I havent really found what Im looking for. Are there better places for lighting?

the width of the tank is 30" so I'd need a fixture to fit that... and it appears I would need 24" bulbs.... unless someone knows of a fixture that has 30" bulbs that would still fit on my tank? oh... and do I go VHO or PC or NO? too many choices.... :(

I know people have planted 20 longs... any advice from you guyz? :)

I thought I was pretty well versed but plumbing, canisters and high lighting seem to be new frontiers that I'm just now getting into.

For a 20 long, you could get the XP1 with the Hydor ETH 201 heater. Both inputs and outputs are 5/8". So no adapting necessary.

Don't get the Hydor ETH 200, it's 1/2" and you'll have to adapt it.

tbonem91 said:
I'm thinking about plumbling the canister output to the input of my CO2 reactor, then the output of the reactor to the heater... then to the tank

Would the canister pump be sufficient for flow? and would it fit with my 1/2" tubing going into/out of my reactor? would I need to split the filter output into 2 lines and run one to the reacotr and one to the filter?

I'd like to have a light that stands off of my tank on feet but in searching bigals and drsfostersmith I havent really found what Im looking for. Are there better places for lighting?

I have my reactor and heater both on the same canister. I didn't split the line nor do I see any reason for it.
I'm using eheim 2215's and I love em but that's to much for your 20G.
Next step down from that is the 2213 with a flow rate of 117GPH.

I don't think you'd have any problem with that level of GPH.

As for lights I've tried oddesea and current usa......and am only comfortable recommending the current usa. Oddesea is cheaper but ya get what ya pay for.
How would something like this work for ya? It comes with legs.
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29601;category_id=3797;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
Something like that would put you at 3.25wpg
And if you really want the atnic's you can go with something like this:
http://bigalsonline.com/catalog/product.xml?product_id=29611;category_id=3797;pcid1=1843;pcid2=
Have you checked hellolights.com?
They've got a good selection there.

HTH

If you want a tank that behaves like 3wpg T12 over a 50-55gal, lumens/sq in says you'll need about 80w CF to get there. The 65w CF fixture GlitcH linked would give you a nice setup but may limit your success with the most demanding plants.

ODNO may be the best choice, and with some ceative DIY you should be able to have it on legs attractively. Might be able to use your current fixture's mounts and just gt a new ballast, and build a custom hood if so inclined. I have no experience with ODNO but if you lean this way (very cost effective) there's surely many members who will guide you.

so i think im looking at an xp1, eth 201 (prices very comparable between bigals and drsfostersmith) and the coralife 30" 2X65W fixture with 50/50 bulbs... not sure wether to get the regular setup via maxwell here or toss in the extra cash and get the lunar light version...

used 'regular' version at a good price -or- new version of what I'd prefer at a much higher price

anyone have good experience hooking up lunar lights that arent built into the lighting fixture? I might go that route cause I'd really like to have them so I can see my plecos when they're most active and get a chance to see my fish in the morning before I go to work...

I've been happy with DIY moonlighting. FWIW I found red LED the best for my noctournal fish (they only pause for a second when going to it from total darkness) but blue LED or coldcathode easiest for viewing (which occasionally spooks the fish).

I wonder what a blue LED on one side and a red on the other would look like.... :) on a side note, I've got 8 or so UV "black" LEDs leftover from an unfinished fountain project...

Back
Top Bottom