Pockets of poisonous gas in Sand Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

anteatergoanna

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, I'm getting a bit nervous about using sand because of these pockets that could form, and would kill my fish if disturbed. Would an Eel prevent this from happening? They like to dig and bury themselves, so would this be enough to stop these pockets of foul air? I have Clown Loaches and they like to dig around, would they be enough? What about plants? Would fert tablets be okay to poke into the sand or should I put a layer of potting mix (organic), then the sand on top. I would like it reasonably heavily planted. What are you using as substrate? And what are the pro's and con's of what you are using?
I would appreciate hearing your point of view. Thank you
Also how often should I put fert tabs in for the plants?

You can run your fingers through the substrate every now and then, but you should be fine. The problem is really overblown by some people, it really takes minimal work to keep the poisonous pockets from developing.

For substrates, I have used play sand, black blasting sand, and sand-capped organic potting soil. I liked the look of the black sand more than the play sand. The dirt wasn't bad, but it made a mess when trying to move plants around. Also, if you have dirt, you won't want to run your fingers through the substrate. To check for gas pockets every now and then, I actually pressed on the sand cap to squeeze out any bubbles underneath. It seemed to work well.

The root tab replacement rate would have to depend on the type of tab. Some root tabs, like osmocote plus, release slower so they don't have to be replaced for 3-4 months. Others, like clay root tabs, are a bit more potent but have to be replaced every 1-2 months.

The pockets of gas definitely form in sand substrate. However the pockets of gas killing your fish is pure myth. They are harmless as they exit your tank too quickly to diffuse into the water. You have absolutely nothing to worry about from it.

what i do is after each pwc, i run the handle of a fish net through the sand to open up possible pockets.

I have a sand substrate as well (pool filter sand.) I like the look of it much better than gravel. I recently got some MTS (Malaysian Trumpet Snails) and added them to the tank. They like to bury themselves down in the sand and move around. They are supposed to help with turning over the sand, plus they are interesting to watch. Mine tend to stay buried while the lights are on and then come out after lights out to start cleaning the tank.

Thank you so much for your responses, you have put my mind at ease. TG, it's a myth about killing fish, had me worried!!
I have Clown Loaches so the snails would end up a snack lol, but i'm thinking maybe a peacock eel. That's a good idea about running something through the sand. I'm aiming to get the tank heavily planted, so hopefully that will help as well.
Thanks all, appreciate your views xx

Back
Top Bottom