Pool Filter sand to Miracle Gro or??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Randa

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 29 gallon lightly planted tank with a few various anubias and a ribbon plant (not sure now if that was the best idea)

I just bought a new light The National Geographic 24"€ Deluxe Programmable LED Aquarium Light. Since I got the light I have had an algae problem with the brown and spotted green.

I wanted to change the substrate from the pool filter sand to the Eco Complete or the flora max, but my frugal side wants to go with the Miracle Gro Organic potting mix. Not sure if that is going to be the best plan or not.

Honestly, I don't know about the light, I love the way it looks. It is much brighter than my old T8 light I had that burnt out. But I don't know if its the right kind of lighting or if its considered high output or low or what. Can anyone point me in the right direction on an affordable way to get some nice plants and upgrade the substrate? I don't think I am ready to jump into doing any co2 just yet.

Be careful of dirt it's complex and not recommend for beginners....

If you do a dirted tank that means no fish for several months, and a cloudy tank....

Sand with Malaysian trumpet snails works great for plants! The MTS will burrow throw the sand and mix up all the nutrients and fish poop...

Be careful of dirt it's complex and not recommend for beginners....

If you do a dirted tank that means no fish for several months, and a cloudy tank....

Sand with Malaysian trumpet snails works great for plants! The MTS will burrow throw the sand and mix up all the nutrients and fish poop...

I agree with TA completely except for the middle statement. If done properly you can dirt a tank with no cloud and add fish the same day. I actually did it on Friday. Just for a beginner I would suggest researching dirt carefully. Also think of the possible outcomes, good or bad.
For research I would suggest this form and "Dustin's fish tanks" on YouTube. He is a planted tank master. He has lots of videos about dirtied tanks and great aquariums full of plants to prove its usefulness.

Sent via Messenger of Gondor

Adding fish the same day????

Did you peep your dirt or anything?

If not that stuff will leach ammonia and all kinds of toxins for a while! Hence the waiting for a few months....

I do not know what you mean by peeping. But I used 100% organic composted topsoil and some clay pellets made for ponds, then covered it with sand. I have done this twice on a 10g and most recently a 65g with no losses and minimal clouding. Always lots of tannins when first done thou. Call me lucky.

Sorry stupid autocorrect! I meant Prep the dirt. From what I've read lately I was convinced that the dirt should be demineralized first. I know the soil leaches out a lot of ammonia at first, maybe the duckweed is enough to take most out w/o harming fish....

I did it once, but That was a long time ago, I really don't have that much experience and should keep my big mouth shut....

Thanks everyone, I took the easy route yet more expensive and got some FloraMax today.

Sorry stupid autocorrect! I meant Prep the dirt. From what I've read lately I was convinced that the dirt should be demineralized first. I know the soil leaches out a lot of ammonia at first, maybe the duckweed is enough to take most out w/o harming fish....

I did it once, but That was a long time ago, I really don't have that much experience and should keep my big mouth shut....

Some people bake the dirt in an oven first. To sterilize it.
Don't worry you do have experience with this, some is better than none. If everybody didn't share because they thought someone else would know better no one would reply. And in reality this is opinion there is no right or wrong. Thank you for sharing. :)

I would also love to see more of the plans for this tank.

I'd love to see your finished scape! What are your stocking plans?

So I ended up going with the FloraMax despite my frugal ways. Right now I just have some anubias and something else I got from the lfs that I almost killed. So I'm hoping that the substrate change and closer attention will help it revive and recover.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    257.4 KB · Views: 89
I am considering going with this plant stock from Amazon:
Robot Check

It contains:
1 Anubias (Anubias lanceolata), mature plant 8-10 inches - great plant for creating a focal point in your fish tank

1 Red Amazon Sword - rare type (, mature plant 5-7 inches - another great focal point Amazon Sword. Striking red leaves!

2 Amazon Swords (Echinodorus argentinensis), mature plants 8-10 in inches

1 Java Fern , mature plant 4-5 in. Java Fern is one of the most undemanding/hardy aquarium plants! Highly sought among hobbyists!

4 Limnophila aquatica , 7-8 inches - very beautiful plant with finely dissected leaves!

4 red Crypt walkeri, Cryptocoryne walkeri "Red", 3-4 inches - great foreground plant! Very shade tolerant! Beautiful red leaves!

5 stems of Egeria (Anacharis) densa, 7-8 in - excellent background plant, great supplier of oxygen!

8 stems of Bacopa monnierii 5-7 in - another great/easy plant to generate bright green backgrounds in your tank

4 stems of Narrow Leaf Hygrophila, Hygrophila salicifolia 5-8 in - very popular among aquarists

5 stems of Ludwigia repens 7-9 in - beautiful reddish leave, perfect for contrasting with green plants, fast growing

5 stems of Hygrophila lancea 5-7 in - yet another beautiful Hygrophila

10 stems of Rotala indica 5-7 in - very beautiful, fast growing aquarium plant

What do you guys think?

Tank looks nice!

Kinda funny, you don't how many times I've debated ordering from there! It's a great price, but somehow I never got around to buying from there....

If you try it let me know, and I might as well!

Btw, all of those are low light plants so they should work nicely in your set up!

Thank you. I was excited to find all of them at a good price and from what I could tell they seemed to be a good fit. Here's hoping that it's not too good to be true. Reviews seem to be pretty positive so I hope that continues.

So I ended up going with the FloraMax despite my frugal ways. Right now I just have some anubias and something else I got from the lfs that I almost killed. So I'm hoping that the substrate change and closer attention will help it revive and recover.

Plants look nice, but your anubias willl die the way you have it planted. You need to have the rhizome exposed and you burried it. Is that a crypt in the middle of the picture? If so did you place any root tabs under the crypt? It will do much better with them if you have not already done so, they are a heavy root feeder if you didn't already know.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Plants look nice, but your anubias willl die the way you have it planted. You need to have the rhizome exposed and you burried it. Is that a crypt in the middle of the picture? If so did you place any root tabs under the crypt? It will do much better with them if you have not already done so, they are a heavy root feeder if you didn't already know.

Hey thanks for the tip! I'll pull it out a bit and put the root tabs under the crypt. :)

Hey thanks for the tip! I'll pull it out a bit and put the root tabs under the crypt. :)

No problem! With the anubias I would personally tie it to a rock or driftwood so you know the rhizome is exosed all the way. Once it attaches to the object cut the thread/rubber band and your good to go. In your tank I would find a medium size river rock or slate and beak it so you have a 2×2" piece that is easy to tie to. I use fly tying thread so round corners drive me crazy when I tie plants down.

I got my plants today and plopped them in. Placement is not exact but will get them a little more organized when I have a little more time. Hungry kids and hubs coming home soon. :)

In all I have:
1 Anubias (Anubias lanceolata)

1 Red Amazon Sword

2 Amazon Swords (Echinodorus argentinensis)

4 red Crypt walkeri

5 stems of Egeria (Anacharis) densa

8 stems of Bacopa monnierii

4 stems of Narrow Leaf Hygrophila

5 stems of Ludwigia repens

5 stems of Hygrophila lancea

10 stems of Rotala indica

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452817790.827171.jpg

Sent from an undisclosed location...

Back
Top Bottom