post a pic of your planted tank!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
finally got a couple pics. this tank has bene up for less than a month or around it.
img_621489_0_790a632c1f7b02c337d39da3dca87c9f.jpg

img_621489_1_e87a685d09533dfe1feb566b2b601913.jpg

That is one good looking tank. The rockwork in the corner with the moss covering makes an excellnet foreground. The sword looks cool too, along with the rare and elusive lamp. :D

Just kidding there, but it is wise to turn off all lights other than the tank for photo sessions. Your angel and GBR look cool too.

Thank you Fastfly and Czcz for the kind words ;-)

The erio's are to the right of that driftwood in the center.
Cz, You asked what was in there.... took me a while to figure it out for myself. Thats ok, I needed to update my plant list for this tank anyways. The is another thread you started where I mention that I think I have gone overboard with too may species and that it takes away from the look of things. So I am going to begin reducing the total number of species I am keeping, and instead try to do more interesing things with fewer plants. that said, here is what is in there now:
Alternathea reineckii
Ammannia gracilis
Anubias barteri
Anubias barteri v. nana
Anubias frazeri
Bacopa caroliniana
Blyxa abertii
Blyxa japonica
Cladophora aegagropila
Cryptocoryne beckettii 'Petchii'
Cryptocoryne pontedefolia
Cryptocoryne pygmaea
Cryptocoryne wendtii “brown”
Echinodorus parviflorus “Tropica”
Echinodorus sp “Amazon”
Echinodorus sp “Ozelot”
Echinodorus tennelus “red”
Echinororus sp “Indian Summer”
Eichhornia diversifolia
Elantine Triandra
Eriocaulon setaceum
Eriocaulon sp. 'Mato Grosso'
Eustralis stellata
Hygrophila corymbosa 'compact'
Hygrophila costada
Hygrophila sp foreground
Ludwigia inclinata var. verticillata 'Cuba'
Ludwigia sp from Guinea
Microsorium pteropus “Needle leaf”
Microsorium pteropus “Wide leaf”
Microsorium pteropus “Windelov”
Monosolenium tenerum
Nymphaea micrantha
Pogostemon helferi
Polygonum sp ‘Kawagoeanum’
Vesicularia dubyana
a mystery moss that was collected on the isle of Java
and 3 more species that I do not know what they are, including a red baby tears like plant.

Fastfly, as for making a nice looking tank, first and foremost... I learned a ton from this website, even just looking at pictures of tanks in the gallery. I will particulay say that Travis' tank pictures really inspired me to try and "aquascape" my tanks. As for methods, well, I am no expert. I have only been growing plants for about a year. I don't think my 20+ years of aquascaping with plastic really prepared me for working with live plants.
I read a couple nice articles about "Amano" and "Dutch" style aquariums, and some basic layout ideas. Things like dividing your tank into fifths, or thirds. Each zone having it's own "look". For me, and a 4 foot main tank I work around a 2/5 and 3/5 division. Each 1/5 has something to look at, but 2/5's make one distinct "zone" and 3/5's make another distinct zone.
That gave me my starting point. From there, all week long I see my tank, and I visualize small changes. Look at other tanks, see "areas" in those tank that I like and use those ideas when I can. Then on the weekends, during my routine maintenance, I make the changes I decided on from the week. Small changes, and steady progess. Post pictures, get feedback from lots of folks, make more small changes..etc. Now, my New 72, is really just the next "change" from my old 55. They are the same length and height, just the depth (thickness) has increased. So I tranferred my aquascape from the old tank, with some changes based on my new increased "floorspace". From here, I will again keep polishing the look every week. This year I really want to enter the AGA contest, so I am hoping to have this tank "peak" it's current look in the next 3-5 months.

Thanks for those helpful words Zezmo.
I know what you mean about "zones" and "looks". I have one "zone" that I like. haha
But as you said, you just keep making small changes and over time it evolves, I guess :p

I Basically have a wall of plants along the back of the tank, with a few rocks holding back some gravel and a nice tunnel on the right hand side, and not much in the left hand side.
I look at the tanks in this thread (for example) and they just have a totally different look. I think it's becasue their gravel is all level. Becasue of this you have more ground space to work with and thus more oppitunites for good "looks"? Am I on the right track?aha

I love the busy-jungle-wood-rock-moss forground look. Carefully diesgined to look busy but messy. It makes thing so much more interesting, esp with corys, shrimp and plecos swimming about in it! Don't you think? It's like there is more fish-flora interaction. Hmmm anyways, just a noobs thoughts.
Oh, feel free to throw some constructive ctitisizm in the mix too :p
There arn't any aqua-scaping articales on AA is their? I think not...

Ok well, keep it cool.
cheers.
Ry.

There arn't any aqua-scaping articales on AA is their? I think not...

Interesting and good point fastfly. With all these 'scapers' in here, you would think that there would be one wouldn't you?

I toss this out there...anyone up to the challenge?

I would love to see some stickys on aquascaping, it would help me out greatly. As soon as I get a new camera I will post pictures of my tank. My current camera has been dropped too many times and really doesn't capture the pictures very well.

I will try to take some pictures over the long weekend and see if I can get anything decent to post. I really admire all these wonderful looking tanks, big thumbs up to all of you, great jobs!

It'd be great to have an aqua-scapeing article!

I'd have it memorized hey! :p
It would be really good I think. You could have different sections for different "looks" and sizes and everything.
You could even have examples of "bad" aqua-scaped tanks (I'll volenteer there :p) and show how you can tranform them using different techniques.

There are plenty of very talented aqua-scapers (If I may...) in here so I say go for it!

Take it easy.
Ryland.

Updated shot of my tank from page 2 (click for fullsize image):

tank041406_1.jpg

Obviously taken with a flash, but no post-picture editing.

Here's my 75g.
img_623996_0_9cdf757e36d6f8f33eda9674abeac7f2.jpg

Yes I know, I need to trim my hygro in the front lol. When I fist got it, I only had six small stems. Those six stems now have turned into a jungle that stretches all the way to the back of the tank.

img_623996_1_26201dee63183e751647d86df3f66c50.jpg

Here's a pic from the top. You can't see all of it but the pic gives you an idea of how dense it is. It grew like that all on its own. Personally I think it would be a great hideout for fry :D

Oh and btw, great tanks everyone! They're all very unique.

wow friendly your tank loks really healthy!! i am having the same problem with my hygro lol. it appears that is hygro rosenervig not just regular hygro polysperma. u have some red on the top of them right? i would be interested in some of this if u want to cut some out. where are u in canada? u must not have very high light casue there isnt much red in it anymore. u can see white veins through it right? again really nice tank

That is a very nice looking tank friendly.

By the way, if you haven't already seen it, there is now a Planted Aquascape sub-forum here. Drop by and post your tank pics there. Check the stickies as well for useful information.

Thanks for the compliments :D!

mr funktastic said:
wow friendly your tank loks really healthy!! i am having the same problem with my hygro lol. it appears that is hygro rosenervig not just regular hygro polysperma. u have some red on the top of them right? i would be interested in some of this if u want to cut some out. where are u in canada? u must not have very high light casue there isnt much red in it anymore. u can see white veins through it right? again really nice tank

Indeed it is rosanervig. The red comes and goes and imo has nothing to do with light. Right now I have 2.5wpg. If I had any less I wouldn't be able to grow some of the plants I have in there. Usually most of the hygro is red (to me it looks pink), but lately the red has been fading and turning green. I think the redness has to do with how much NO3 and PO4 is present. Before when the hygro was really red, I pretty much had no PO4 present. Then I stared dosing PO4 and the red started to fade out. But yeah I'm just speculating about all this.

lol I'm not sure you would want any right now due to the fact that I'm battling hair algae (seems like a lot of people on here are fighting it as well). I think I've gotten it under control but there's still some on the hygro and other plants. I would say in maybe two or three weeks all of it should be gone, so I'd be more then happy to trade some clippings with you then. I really wouldn't want to be the cause of an algae outbreak in your tank. It's better to be safe then sorry.

Jchillin said:
That is a very nice looking tank friendly.

By the way, if you haven't already seen it, there is now a Planted Aquascape sub-forum here. Drop by and post your tank pics there. Check the stickies as well for useful information.

Cool, I never noticed it before. I’ll definitely post all my pics there. Thanks for the heads up!

29 gal
Fertalizing with Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potassium, CSM+B and co2

3 lights:
one pc 6700k and
one T-5 Colormax Full Spectrum and one T-5 6700K

3-12-2006.jpg

wow jaguar that is stunning!!! i love the foreground plant and u have soo many different levels. is that amted pair or rams in there? they must be in heaven.

Back
Top Bottom