Potassium Deficiency - Water Paramters - Nitrate Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David14259

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi guys,

Turns out I have a potassium deficiency in my tank (I think). Growth has decreased, especially the Vals and swords, a few leaves on my nana turned yellow, and I'm starting to get some algae growth.

Readings as of today were:
0 NH3
0 NO2
5-10 N03
2.5 Phosphate (though I dont know how accurate my test kit is)
6.8 pH
12 KH
~60ppm CO2 (Yes I know, high)

I'm dosing using the EI method. I assume the lack of potassium has kept the plants from using up the phosphate, and hence has started some algae growing.

So, my plan is to increase potassium dramatically. Am I correct in thinking that overdosing potassium is ok?

Also, should I increase my Nitrates to even out with the high phosphate reading?

Any other suggestions?

Thanks!

How much Potassium are you dosing currently?

You are correct that Potassium is nearly impossible to overdose, which is good since there isn't an inexpensive test kit available to us.

For a 20 gallon tank,

1-1.5 Dry K2SO4 total weekly should be about right. (maybe less if you are using KNO3 as your nitrate source)

Also, your NO3 looks a bit low. But, I have little faith in hobby grade tests anyways. Since you are using EI, it is more important to look at how much you are adding.

Again, for a 20 Gallon.
About .75 dry tsp per week should be about right of KNO3. (If you use KNO3, you can cut back to about .75 dry tsp of K2SO4)

This all assumes 50% minimum weekly water changes.

Back
Top Bottom