Potassium woes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Monkey Magic

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys a few of my plants are looking quite ordinary they are starting to get holes in the older leaves and are starting to curl up i still get alot of new growth out of them though. So i did a little research and i have a feeling i have a potassium deficiency. How can i add potassium back into the tank??

Hey guys a few of my plants are looking quite ordinary they are starting to get holes in the older leaves and are starting to curl up i still get alot of new growth out of them though. So i did a little research and i have a feeling i have a potassium deficiency. How can i add potassium back into the tank??

I've been looking at this lately myself as well as home-made fertilisers.

Eggshells are fantastic sources of calcium and potassium. Could someone else maybe chime in; could you crush up egg shells and pop them maybe in a filter bag and have them in the tank for a source of potassium? Or even in a filter as well?

themox said:
I've been looking at this lately myself as well as home-made fertilisers.

Eggshells are fantastic sources of calcium and potassium. Could someone else maybe chime in; could you crush up egg shells and pop them maybe in a filter bag and have them in the tank for a source of potassium? Or even in a filter as well?

I don't know, but egg shells can carry pathogens, IMO the best option is to buy a good quality supplement bottle

ejaramillo01 said:
I don't know, but egg shells can carry pathogens, IMO the best option is to buy a good quality supplement bottle

true. I did try it once, but it was a side effect that it helped my plants. I used small crushed eggshells primarily for calcium for my snail. I boiled the shells for approximately 15 mins, then let them air dry, and crushed with an unused herb grinder so they were quite small. I had them scattered in the bottom of the tank and they've since dissolved into my gravel. seems to be working well so far.

hardcore DIY though. you're right, I'd probably buy a bottle too, but it's good fun this way and it helps both my snail and plants.

Monkey Magic said:
i just bought a bottle of potassium $21 australian this is a rather expensive hobby

I'll use the eggshells mate and let you know how I get on. I've got ferns that are potassium deficient at the moment

Monkey Magic said:
sure thing let me know how long it takes for you to see some results and ill do the same

hey mate,

they are now looking better...stupidly, I didn't take pictures to post but they do look better. Not perfect, but the change is noticeable.

I used a cut-up pantyhose and a herb grinder / crusher thing for the shells. I first removed the inner gunk/yolky/egg residue from the shells and boiled them in a pot of water for 10-15 mins. when they had air dried I popped them into the grinder and crushed them up until they were smaller - approx 2ish mm by 2ish mm. I used 6 full eggshells altogether although for larger tanks you could probably use more. I then popped them in my small pantyhose pouch and tied it with plastic tie and popped it right near the plants.

it's taken this long for them to have a thoroughly noticeable change but there's been no drastic swings in my water chemistry or any signs of illness in my fish, and my snail climbs all over it :)

I'm not saying this is perfect and your mileage may vary but it could be a possibility for you. maybe even replace them after some time for newer ones? I'm not sure. good luck whatever you decide.

Good to hear it works and you didnt have to spend 20 bucks on chemicals!!
since dosing seachem i have noticed a difference i wouldnt say an amazing one but still things are improving the newer shoots arent being affected. I think im going to take your path and throw some egg shells into my filter next time i break it down or plant them in the substrate like a root tab. i will still dose the potassium maybe once or twice a week just to get the most out of my plants sooner rather than later.

Good to hear it works and you didnt have to spend 20 bucks on chemicals!!
since dosing seachem i have noticed a difference i wouldnt say an amazing one but still things are improving the newer shoots arent being affected. I think im going to take your path and throw some egg shells into my filter next time i break it down or plant them in the substrate like a root tab. i will still dose the potassium maybe once or twice a week just to get the most out of my plants sooner rather than later.

Nice one!

Back
Top Bottom