*Potential* 5 Gallon Low Tech Hex Build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bcarl_10gal

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I have been kicking the tires on a 5 gallon hex build. Long story short I was given a Marineland 5 gallon hex that has been in my garage. *I may or may not build this tank just wanted some input on how I could mod it to work* I need this tank to be low tech-low maintenance and budget friendly.

So technically this tank is rimless, but it is made of some cheap china plastic that had a slight scratch haze. The first thing is I need suggestion on how to remove the sratches, is it possible?

2nd matter of business is lighting, this light pictured is a fluorescent bulb. I could either use the existing hood with a screw-in light bulb or mod the top to fit a current led strip light (I'd prefer not to buy one unless its a crazy good deal).

For filtration i'd trim the plastic to fit my soon to be retired Aquaclear 30 from my 26 gallon.

For substrate I have a bunch of fine grade eco left over from my 26 gallon.

For hardscape I also have some seiryu stones and the small piece of manzanita.

For plants I was thinking extras from my 26 gal, Star repens, other low light stems TBD

For fish I was thinking either a beta or a some guppys with possibly a few shrimp

The keys to this tank to work is low maintenance, and budget friendly. Now lets see if you guys can convince me to develop MTS. Thanks for your input!

Attachments

• IMG_0853.jpg
    IMG_0853.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_0855.jpg
    IMG_0855.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_0856.jpg
    IMG_0856.jpg
    213.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_0851.jpg
    IMG_0851.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 109
Thanks, that was the bulb I was looking at. How tall is your tank? What kind of plants do you grow? No CO2 correct?

Anubias nana petite on a nice piece of dw, rcs and celestial pearl danios. A cfl worked well when I had that tank going. From experience of having multiple planted tanks.. make it look as different as possible from the one you already have.. trust me;) petsmart has all types of anubias and crypts...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Maybe I'll go with a low tech igwami style tank using star repens as my ground cover and a few really interesting guppys.

Or all fissedens or moss, like that rastaman tank that popped up here a week or two ago...

Toothpaste

So use the toothpaste and follow the same steps like you are cleaning the headlights for your car?

Think so, I'd google that first though.

Thanks, that was the bulb I was looking at. How tall is your tank? What kind of plants do you grow? No CO2 correct?

Standard 10g. 2 mini CFLs sideways.
a little Excel on occasion.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1418080160.070746.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418080220.090478.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1418080280.814402.jpg

Crypts
Mosses
Bacopa
Ludwigia repens
Frogbit
Dwarf Chain Sword
Süsswassertang
Etc...

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sweet! That light should work! Now all thats left is to figure out how to remove those scratches!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I put some water in it today to see what would happen with the scratches. They pretty much disappeared. What do you guying think about putting a finnex stingray for lights?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Finnex makes some sharp looking clip on leds, that would be my vote.

Back
Top Bottom