Potted plant substrate?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jratuszn

Aquarium Advice Freak
What is a good substrate to fill pots for potted plants in the aquarium? I have a bare bottom discus tank, but I want to add some plants. Probably swords, vals, nothing fancy.

Thanks!

-J

Agreed as usual Rex.
The eco complete will provide your plants with many nutrients and NOT cloud your water

marcus russo said:
Agreed as usual Rex.
The eco complete will provide your plants with many nutrients and NOT cloud your water

Geez, I'm starting to think that if I said the sun was going to rise in the West that people would agree with me :)

Hey. Thats going to be cool. I'll have to get a picture the Western Sunrise.

I have a DIY substrate of vermiculite, kitty litter, and peat moss in my pots. But if you're going with discus then $20 for a real substrate shouldn't bother you. My substrate is kind of messy.

Rex, you know I'm always willing to disagree with you if I don't agree. Fact is you tend to do the research, so you're not just tossing out random ideas.

Flourite would work just fine, but I think the color of the eco complete would look better...it'd look like soil in your little pots and would be 'cute' (I rarely use that word...its so immasculating). I don't think that small an amount of flourite would cause clouding issues though...but for aesthetics, eco would probably be best.

Malkore,

I try and stick with the facts. Opinions are like a certain body part. Everyone has them and they all stink.

Believe it or not some people hate the fact that I'm right so much of the time.

I suggested Eco-Complete because it doesn't have to be washed and can be used right out of the bag, it looks more natural and I just plain love the stuff.

Only reason I said flourite would work too is because some people in the U.S. have a heck of a time finding eco complete locally, and if you don't have a credit card, online purchasing isn't an option.

I don't think I'll ever setup another tank with flourite. It's a fine substrate, but eco is definitely more convenient, and I like the darker color.

I can get Flourite at the LFS. Eco-Complete I have to search for. There is one store about 25 miles away that carries it or I can drive down to Salem and get it from Robert, about an hour each way.

Back
Top Bottom