Potted plants question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Buu

Aquarium Advice Freak
So today, on impulse, I decided to buy 2 potted plants. Some Vallisneria and bacopa. Right now they are soaking in a peroxide/water paper towel =)

My question is how would I go about planting these guys? Is there any special things I should do (trim the roots ect).

Ranting long part don't have to read- (((The lady couldn't tell me anything ("oh they're a potted plant. They can grow 10". I ask about what type of light they need "if your aquarium is by a window they should be fine") I decided to just hurry up and buy and can always return if I see they have crazy light needs (the little one was getting fussy!). So any info on these plants will be gladly appreciated!)))

I would just stick them in the substrate and call it good. Neither of those are particularly picky about how they're planted. If you're planting multiple in a small area, make sure they're spaced several inches so they don't block out the light at their base.

image-3527763140.jpg

This is the bacopa minus pot and spongey stuff. Should I trim it at all? Also would it rot if I plant the purple rooted part in the substrate? Sorry so many questions!

Cut about an inch off the bottom to stimulate them and plant them in the substrate up to the green part on the stem. It wouldn't hurt to put a root tab under the substrate close to the group. Plant them just a little farther apart than the the leaves touching each other. You'll still need to dose a little liquid ferts and excel or glut daily for them to thrive. What kind of light do you have? OS.

Cut about an inch off the bottom to stimulate them and plant them in the substrate up to the green part on the stem. It wouldn't hurt to put a root tab under the substrate close to the group. Plant them just a little farther apart than the the leaves touching each other. You'll still need to dose a little liquid ferts and excel or glut daily for them to thrive. What kind of light do you have? OS.

So keep the purpley roots on? Thank you! Did some trimming, am going to plant tomorrow (right now they are floating until I am sure the purple curved part won't rot or needs to be off)

Currently I just have a single bright with my old 20G stock lights. By the end of this month I should have either marineland FW planted led or current satellite Led. Whenever I make up my mind!!! But definite getting one of those by the end of the month. And with the plants, I bought flourish =) hopefully my plants will enjoy that (until now I've just had root tabs and laterite! But everyone has been growing like weeds. Granted they're all easy low maintenance plants.)

I would just stick them in the substrate and call it good. Neither of those are particularly picky about how they're planted. If you're planting multiple in a small area, make sure they're spaced several inches so they don't block out the light at their base.

Thank you! I learned the hard way about spacing "grouped" plants with one of my first plants ever, moneywort.

Back
Top Bottom