power head as diffuser

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishdud

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I managed to find my cheap Petco power head. I've heard and seen people use one as a diffuser and had hood results with it, how do i turn the power head into a diffuser?

You can hook the co2 in to the air line inlet if it has one, otherwise, put it below the intake. This is probably one of the more effective ways to inject co2, yet can cause a lot of microbubbles (which makes it effective, yet unsightly)

What do you mean air inlet? Here's what it looks like.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20111227_140220.jpg
    ForumRunner_20111227_140220.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 79
mfdrookie516 said:
It looks like you have something hooked in there already... an air line?

Yeah, the thing that controls the flow.

mfdrookie516 said:
That's where I had mine when I used a powerhead... until I got tired of the bubbles.

What's wrong with the bubbles? So I disconnect that and just add the tube from my co2 bottle?

Bubbles in an aquarium are ugly IMO. But yes, just unhook that and hook that in directly. If you're running DIY co2, you might want to monitor it and make sure it's not sucking it out of the bottle though. If it's pressurized, it won't matter.

mfdrookie516 said:
Bubbles in an aquarium are ugly IMO. But yes, just unhook that and hook that in directly. If you're running DIY co2, you might want to monitor it and make sure it's not sucking it out of the bottle though. If it's pressurized, it won't matter.

I won't mind the bubbles, I just want my plants to grow out. And yes, I'm running DIY, I'm wondering how the bubbles will get chopped up if It's not going through the impeller if that makes sense? Also without the thing that controls the flow, what will happen without it? Will the current be strong?

The bubbles get shot out so fast that they separate into many smaller bubbles. The smaller the bubbles, the quicker they will diffuse before escaping at the surface. That is the goal of using a power head as a diffuser.

Do I leave the diffuser on the bottom or hook the tubing to the air inlet?

Take the other tubing you have hooked in there now out and hook the tubing from your c02 canister to the air inlet on the power head, and it will shoot those bubbles efficiently. Put the Power Head as far down to the bottom of the tank as you can without it sucking up the substrate, and your done.

Ilikefishes said:
Take the other tubing you have hooked in there now out and hook the tubing from your c02 canister to the air inlet on the power head, and it will shoot those bubbles efficiently. Put the Power Head as far down to the bottom of the tank as you can without it sucking up the substrate, and your done.

Sounds good but what about the thing that controls the flow? If i disconnect that, will the current be strong?

Ilikefishes said:
Don't worry about that, the strong current is what is supposed to break up the bubbles.

Okay thanks, that was my concern cause i have a betta.

Ilikefishes said:
My Betta absolutely loves the current in my tank. Who said they aren't strong swimmers. Haha.

I thought betta's didn't like strong currents?

Ilikefishes said:
Maybe not, but mine does, I always find him fighting against my filter outflow before feeding time.

Mine always gets blown down or away:( but i just got it. The other fish love it tho.

Back
Top Bottom