Powerhead dilemma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
As some of you may know, I have a 30 gallon high-tech tank. All of the green water algae is gone, so I took out the UV sterilizer and put my powerhead back in the tank (Hydor 240). I had forgotten about the dilemma that I had before the green water outbreak though. My fish don't seem to like the powerhead, especially my Harlequin Rasboras. I think that my current filter (Eheim 2213) may not deliver enough water circulation for this tank for the plants in this high-tech setting, but I may be wrong. My toughest aquarium plants are going to be Alteranthra reineckii "Roseafolia" and Dwarf Hairgrass. My dilemma is as follows: I want to have enough circulation for my toughest plants to thrive (all of the other plants that were not listed are easier to care for) and not have any algae issues, yet for all my livestock to be comfortable in their given environment. Here are my questions:

1. Does my current filter, the Eheim 2213, supply enough water circulation for my plants to thrive given that the water comes out of a spray bar?

2. If the above answer is no, what should I do to help my plants, and at the same time, make my fish happy?

Maybe try a smaller powerhead?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd rather not go buy another powerhead at the moment, but if I have to, I will.

What makes you think you have a circulation problem?

My filter has a pump circulation of 116 GPH, and I know that "rule" for flow would call for 300 GPH for my tank. I'm just wondering if 116 GPH is enough for my tank, given that I run CO2, have T5 HO lighting, and use PPS-Pro. Powerheads seem to provide a current that my fish don't like, given that most of them are of Asian still-standing water descent.

Koralia nano 240, now we dance..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There was a time that I was concerned about flow in my tank and added a couple powerheads. It was just another thing to worry about. I ran them for several months and it had no positive effect on my tank. Unless you have a reason to need more flow, I'd just skip it. My concern back then was the amount of plants that I had and I knew the flow in my tank had diminished due to their mass.

There was a time that I was concerned about flow in my tank and added a couple powerheads. It was just another thing to worry about. I ran them for several months and it had no positive effect on my tank. Unless you have a reason to need more flow, I'd just skip it. My concern back then was the amount of plants that I had and I knew the flow in my tank had diminished due to their mass.

Flow is very important in a planted tank.. any tank really. Dead spots can be just that. Than there's the aesthetics thing.. no one likes a bunch of mulmy crap stuck to the moss and dw..

Flow is very important in a planted tank.. any tank really. Dead spots can be just that. Than there's the aesthetics thing.. no one likes a bunch of mulmy crap stuck to the moss and dw..

Not saying flow isn't important, but if don't have a reason to add more, why would you?

I can show you numerous fully planted tanks that have nothing more then one filter taking care of the flow in the tank.

Not saying flow isn't important, but if don't have a reason to add more, why would you?

I can show you numerous fully planted tanks that have nothing more then one filter taking care of the flow in the tank.

Ok, what size? What plants? What style? What dosing? Jeez even the amount of fish will come into play.. so many variables.. i do like pics though..

Ok, what size? What plants? What style? What dosing? Jeez even the amount of fish will come into play.. so many variables.. i do like pics though..

What is wrong with you? why are you attacking me?

This is VERY simple, what makes you think he needs more flow? Was that to much to ask?

So if I have 10 powerheads running you would advocate that I add more? And if I said no, your comments would be that flow is important so don't listen to him?

This forum has completely decinagrated from where it once was. It used to be a place where like minded individuals could SHARE experiences and information. Now it's just full of people that, If they don't agree with you, they attack you.

What is wrong with you? why are you attacking me?

This is VERY simple, what makes you think he needs more flow? Was that to much to ask?

So if I have 10 powerheads running you would advocate that I add more? And if I said no, your comments would be that flow is important so don't listen to him?

This forum has completely decinagrated from where it once was. It used to be a place where like minded individuals could SHARE experiences and information. Now it's just full of people that, If they don't agree with you, they attack you.

I'm not attacking anyone,.dictionary would tend to agree.. I'm simply asking that you backup your claims with evidence. I have evidence of good flow being a positive.. now your turn;)

I'm not attacking anyone,.dictionary would tend to agree.. I'm simply asking that you backup your claims with evidence. I have evidence of good flow being a positive.. now your turn;)

NO WHERE in my posts did I say flow wasn't important. Maybe you should go back and read them. I am not going to waste my time pulling the thousands of planted tank pics off of google to show you. You can do it yourself.

What evidence do I need? You show me the OPs tank and where there are dead spots are and I'll be glad to acknowledge he needs something added to his/her tank. Until then, it's just all speculation and assumptions.

EDIT: and yet you still failed to answer my question. What makes you think there is a flow issue that needs resolved?

I'll be sure to post pics of my tank tomorrow, but regarding dead spots, I can't spot any when the filter is clean. My spray bar is positioned to where there is some surface agitation (gentle), and water is moving at all areas of the surface. The main reason I have algae at the moment is because I don't have enough plants to achieve balance. I will be adding 9 new plants in a week though. I know that not many plants subside in high flow areas in nature. I'm just wanting for all of my plants and fish to be happy, yet achieve balance in near future with this tank.

NO WHERE in my posts did I say flow wasn't important. Maybe you should go back and read them. I am not going to waste my time pulling the thousands of planted tank pics off of google to show you. You can do it yourself.

What evidence do I need? You show me the OPs tank and where there are dead spots are and I'll be glad to acknowledge he needs something added to his/her tank. Until then, it's just all speculation and assumptions.

EDIT: and yet you still failed to answer my question. What makes you think there is a flow issue that needs resolved?

Hate to point this out to you but in the OPs original post he states that he thinks his eheim may not be up to the job. Therefore supplementing it with a powerhead. Maybe you should go back and read!

Brookster shared his thoughts that the added flow was good. I tend to agree tbh

You shared your thoughts about not needing it. I tend to disagree (sorry for the attack). Maybe there was something non flow related wrong with your tank. Different story all together

Stop being so sensitive jeeeeeeeezz!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Here are some pics to show you guys the shape of my tank, plus where my spray bar is located. Although you guys can't see the water moving at the surface, they is a nice flow. I just don't know if I have enough to sustain a nice planted tank without as much algae, yet please my fish and not stress them out. Please ignore the BBA and hair algae; I had my CO2 turned off for about 3 weeks while combating an algae bloom, and I didn't fertilize my plants either during that span ?. It should be gone soon!

I didn't read all of the responses but just looking at your pictures I'd recommend either buying or building a longer spraybar that spans as much of the length of your aquarium as possible. The more holes and bigger holes you make in your spraybar the less of a direct current there will be and it'll be a softer more evenly spread flow.

I think if you increased the length of your spraybar you'd probably be able to eliminate or at least downsize the powerhead. I'd point the powerhead more down and across as well, so if you keep it in the same position have it pointing downward and diagonal to the back corner.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thanks for the pics. You mentioned that the harlequin rasboras did not like the current from the powerhead. How do they behave? Do they avoid it? Do they behave differently when it is off (e.g - swim around the entire tank)? It is just them? Have you tried placing the powerhead in other locations?

I didn't read all of the responses but just looking at your pictures I'd recommend either buying or building a longer spraybar that spans as much of the length of your aquarium as possible. The more holes and bigger holes you make in your spraybar the less of a direct current there will be and it'll be a softer more evenly spread flow.

I think if you increased the length of your spraybar you'd probably be able to eliminate or at least downsize the powerhead. I'd point the powerhead more down and across as well, so if you keep it in the same position have it pointing downward and diagonal to the back corner.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

This might be a possible option! I'll have to see what others think about it.

Thanks for the pics. You mentioned that the harlequin rasboras did not like the current from the powerhead. How do they behave? Do they avoid it? Do they behave differently when it is off (e.g - swim around the entire tank)? It is just them? Have you tried placing the powerhead in other locations?

When I had it on, they seemed to avoid it and did not swim in the current, i.e. they swam in all areas of the tank except near the powerhead. My old tetras don't seem fond of it either. I did have the powerhead more near the back of the tank, but since I'll be adding background plants in that area, I thought a direct current would be too much for them. I then positioned the powerhead near the upper middle of the side of the glass, and the rasboras didn't seem to like it. It looks like my only option with the powerhead is the use it in the upper front of the glass. I'm just looking for a position that wouldn't stress out my fish. Would it be better to try and see if I could point it downward to have a more direct flow on the substrate (DHG will be planted in the foreground eventually)?

Out of a little curiosity and from some of the suggestions that you guys have posted, I positioned the powerhead at an angle so that it would be pointing towards the front glass and towards the foreground more. The rasboras seem to be more calm and the plants aren't swaying as intensely.

Back
Top Bottom