PPS-Pro and Estimative Index

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
I see many threads concerning fertilizers on this forum, and I'd like to create a thread for those who need help fertilizing their tanks. The most economical fertilizers come in dry form. Dry fertilizers allow the aquarist to adjust their fertilizer needs more precisely. One can use commercial fertilizers, but the purpose of this thread is to explain two methods of planted tank fertilization. So lets begin...

PPS-Pro: This fertilizer regimen is meant to target plant uptake without flooding the tank with excessive nutrients. Personally, I favor this method above E.I. The PPS-Pro kit from Green Leaf Aquariums comes with the following: Plantex CSM + B, Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4), Magnesium Sulfate (MgSO4), and two 500mL fertilizer dispensers. One bottle is for micronutrients and the other is for macronutrients. One may use 3 bottles so he or she can separate phosphate from nitrate for the purpose of having more leeway with those specific fert levels. PPS-Pro does not require as large of weekly water changes, but weekly water changes of at least 30% is greatly beneficial towards tank, fish, and plant health. The PPS-Pro formula may need adjustment if there is a nutrient deficiency. Dose 1 mL per 10 gallons, or adjust as needed. I dose 5 mL daily for my 30 gallon.

E.I. Regimen: Estimative Index was developed by Tom Barr in an effort to eliminate any chance of nutrient deficiencies. With this method, one's tank is flooded with nutrients, so larger water changes are necessary (50% weekly) to lower dissolved organics. One doses the fertilizers dry (when I dosed fertilizers from the EI method, I used teaspoons). The EI kit from Green Leaf Aquariums comes with the following: Plantex CSM + B, Potassium Nitrate (KNO3), Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4), and Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4). Another reason for this method is to eliminate water testing, but in my opinion, one should still test their water. For more information on the EI method, check out the following thread from the APC forum: Estimative Index Dosing Guide - Fertilizing - Aquatic Plant Central

Check out this article written by fort384 concerning fertilization: Introduction to Fertilizing the Planted Tank - Aquarium Advice

It goes further into nutrient dosing and discusses EI and PPS-Pro as well.

I didn't feel like writing a book (I just wanted to summarize), so if anyone has anything informative to add, feel free to post away.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Great write-up.

I'm also in favour of water tests. I find as plants grow and get pruned that the amount of ferts used does vary. I tend to lean dose nitrates and phosphates while over-dosing potassium for stem plants (medium/high light tank).

I have tested potassium using a titration test kit and had values sitting around 80 to 110ppm. Well in excess of suggested dosing however lower stem plant leaves suffered if I didn't. To the best of my knowledge, this level of potassium dosing had no effect on fish health (which I see is noted elsewhere as well that potassium in the tank is fairly benign).

I think people tend to underestimate the needs of a high tech tank with a large plant load. I'm adding 24 ppm of NO3 per week, and I can tell a huge difference if I skip just one dose of macros during the week- growth slows way down and algae starts to show up. When plant mass and nutrient uptake were at peak, I couldn't get away w just 3 doses, had to increase to 4x macros per week- total of 32 ppm. Even then it's not completely non-limiting. A few times I pushed it to 5x per week and definitely saw even faster and fuller growth. I didn't want to push it further but I'm sure it would have sped things up even more.

You can think of PPS pro as roughly equivalent to a single EI dose, spread out over 6 days instead of dumped in all at once. If PPS pro is your thing but you don't like dosing every day, you can easily dump the whole week's worth of macros on day 1, micros on day 2. AKA "EI low-light". Except for iron of course (which can just be dosed separately) there's no reason to dole nutrients out in tiny doses every day. It's such a small amount, not exactly flooding the tank with nutrients in my opinion, and your plants will likely appreciate the higher concentrations to start off the week.

I use the EI method, but don't always do the weekly water changes since I'm familiar w the approximate weekly uptake. Sometimes it ends up being every other week, sometimes I let it go 3 or 4 weeks. I just adjust dosage accordingly to just 1 or 2x per week depending on current plant load.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I must confess that I'm no longer sure which method I'm using. With water test results I've worked out a dosing plan that seems to work for me.

I have found doing a water change and then a heavy dose of potassium seems to help the plants get a good start to the week.

Back
Top Bottom