PPS-Pro for dummies?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DanTheGuppyMan

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have heard many great things about this "PPS-Pro fert system and lots of people seem to be using it. I figured I might want to give it a try, but I did research and can't fid any valid info on what exactly it is. I think it's from GLA, but they don't give good info either...so what is it exactly and how do you use it? Right now in just using aquariumplants.com's TOTAL, IRON and PHOSPHATE root tabs for ferts.

I use PPS-Pro for my planted tanks and have had great results. I use the Green Fert Pack from GLA. I use the excel sheet to calculate the measurements for mixing the micro and macro solutions.

Download excel sheet:
https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

A good thread on PPS-Pro...
http://www.aquaticplantenthusiasts.com/fertilizer/3350-pps-pro-dosing-method.html

A few notes... I recommend the dispenser bottles from GLA to mix your two solutions. Add 5mL of Flourish Excel to every 250mL of the micro solution to prevent mold. I bought a digital scale on Amazon for less than 8 bucks shipped. Lastly, I have 4 nano aquariums and one medium sized one, i find using transfer pipettes (also found on Amazon) very useful for measuring out smaller doses.

Okay, so I did some more research from the sites you have me plus I read about it on GLA, but I'm still really confused...so you just choose random liquid ferts and mix them together into bottles? That's really confusing to me. Like for example one of the paragraphs says, "Example of 1 liter bottles-Pour into bottle #1, 59 grams of K2SO4, 65 grams of KNO3, 6 grams of KH2PO4 and 41 grams of MgSO4. Pour into bottle #2, 80 grams of dry Trace Element mix. Fill up both bottles with soft water to the 1 litre size and shake. Wait over night until dissolved." So they just picked a bunch of chemicals and mixed them up at different amounts? How do you know how much of one fert to use? For example it says "59 grams of K2SO4, 65 grams of KNO3, 6 grams of KH2PO4 and 41 grams of MgSO4." How did they know to pour in the exact amounts of 59 grams for K2SO4, and then 65 grams of KNO3 and so forth. Sorry if that didn't make any sense at all. I'm really dumb when it comes to ferts and would like the best for my plants, it's just taking some time to learn up on all the best options!

Okay, so I did some more research from the sites you have me plus I read about it on GLA, but I'm still really confused...so you just choose random liquid ferts and mix them together into bottles? That's really confusing to me. Like for example one of the paragraphs says, "Example of 1 liter bottles-Pour into bottle #1, 59 grams of K2SO4, 65 grams of KNO3, 6 grams of KH2PO4 and 41 grams of MgSO4. Pour into bottle #2, 80 grams of dry Trace Element mix. Fill up both bottles with soft water to the 1 litre size and shake. Wait over night until dissolved." So they just picked a bunch of chemicals and mixed them up at different amounts? How do you know how much of one fert to use? For example it says "59 grams of K2SO4, 65 grams of KNO3, 6 grams of KH2PO4 and 41 grams of MgSO4." How did they know to pour in the exact amounts of 59 grams for K2SO4, and then 65 grams of KNO3 and so forth. Sorry if that didn't make any sense at all. I'm really dumb when it comes to ferts and would like the best for my plants, it's just taking some time to learn up on all the best options!

It's not just random chemicals. The macro solution is NPK or nitrogen, phosphorous, and potassium. They've developed quantities based on plants needs. The micro solution is other things your plants need but in smaller quantities, kind of like using flourish comprehensive, IMO.

Alright, so can anyone tell me what they use for PPS-Pro? I have heard lots of people use the green feet pack from GLA, but is that all I need? What about all the different amounts of chemicals to make the solution?

Alright, so can anyone tell me what they use for PPS-Pro? I have heard lots of people use the green feet pack from GLA, but is that all I need? What about all the different amounts of chemicals to make the solution?

The fert pack from GLA will have everything you need, besides a scale to weigh the different ferts with and distilled water.

The fert pack from GLA will have everything you need, besides a scale to weigh the different ferts with and distilled water.

So we need distilled water? And do I have to add different amounts of stuff if I use the fert pack from GLA? If so, how much of each thing? Anything else I need to do?

So we need distilled water? And do I have to add different amounts of stuff if I use the fert pack from GLA? If so, how much of each thing? Anything else I need to do?

Yes, you weigh out the different amounts as listed per the pps-pro website. Remember you already quoted those amounts in a previous post. It's really not as complicated as it sounds. Took me about 2 minutes to mix my ferts.

Here is an article but only read the openning post, it can't be said any simplier....
Newbie Guide to PPS-Pro - PPS Analysis and Feedback - Aquatic Plant Central

Get three of these dosing bottles... Fertilizer Dispenser | 1000 mL (32 oz) | Green Leaf Aquariums The reason for 3 is so you can mix micro ferts in one, nitrates in one, and phosphates and potassium in the 3rd. Mix with RO or DI water. Shake, then add 5ml Excel for every 250ml of solution per bottle to keep mold/fungus from growing in the solutions. Splitting your macros gives you the ability to better custom taylor your ferts to the needs of your plants. Also the macro mix calls for MgSO4, magnesium. You don't need this so don't order it unless you have ultra low ph and very soft water. Your tank will normally get plenty of magnesium from your tap water during WC's.

Back
Top Bottom