Prepping Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Super_Blueberry

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I got the sand I want to use as my cap tonight, and just started to wash it. I took a bag (it's country stone white play sand from menards if it matters, probably doesn't) and dumped it into a 5 gallon bucket that has a hose in it. I turned the water on just slightly to keep it from stirring it up too badly and planned on just letting the water enter at the bottom of the bucket, work it's way up through the sand, and slowly spill over the side if the bucket. Seemed to work alright, but I am noticing a fair amount of sediment build up on the shower floor, and since the sand is so fine I'm worried that this plan isn't going to work. How else can I clean this sand before it goes in the tank?

The method you're using is the method I use,but instead of constant flowing water i would fill the bucket 2/3 sand and top with water, get my hand in and give it a good mix around for a minute, then I let it settle for a few seconds so any floating sand sinks and the i pour the water slowly out and repeat. This takes time and depending how much sand you need to clean can become tiring very quickly, another method is to use an old pillow case to put the sand inside but i ended up spilling sand so cant personally recommend it but its worked for others.

The method you're using is the method I use,but instead of constant flowing water i would fill the bucket 2/3 sand and top with water, get my hand in and give it a good mix around for a minute, then I let it settle for a few seconds so any floating sand sinks and the i pour the water slowly out and repeat. This takes time and depending how much sand you need to clean can become tiring very quickly, another method is to use an old pillow case to put the sand inside but i ended up spilling sand so cant personally recommend it but its worked for others.

That's what I'm doing now. Just seemed too slow so I figured there had to be a better way. Guess not. Oh well

Ok. Next question. How 'clean' does the water actually get? Does it get to a point where it is actually clear?

Yes the water should run clear, I used aquarium sand though and play sand might be that little bit dirtier.

I've found that there seems to be two types of sand in the mix. One that settles pretty quick, and a even finer sand, probably a clay, that seems to be making the mess. I just wait a few seconds for the heavier sand to settle, and dump the rest with the water before it gets a chance.

Back
Top Bottom