Problems with Amazon swords

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

piao liang yu

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have 10 amazon swords I bought from a member a couple months ago or so. I planted them along the back of my 60 gallon 4 foot tank. I bought seachem root tabs at the time. A pack of ten and put one in beside each one. The box said those should last 4-6 months. Well I figured amazon swords would grow well based on what I read, but these have not grown at all and some seem like they are dying. Some of the leaves are becoming transparent. I dose with liquid fert seachem flourish comprehensive and I dose daily with api c02 booster. My lighting is a t5ho with a rosette bulb and a white bulb I think 65k. I run the lights anywhere from six to eight hours a day. I understand amazon swords are heavy root feeders so could my substrate be inadequate for them? I have black sand substrate.

Stock
12 neon tetras
04 guppies
04 otocinclus
03 red wag platies
03 Angelicus botia
01 Dwarf Gourami
lots of MTS, four clea helena and large colony of rcs.

Plants consist of java fern, lots of java moss, anubias, elodea, amazon swords and driftwood.

I should also mention I am fighting black beard and green beard algae. I have spot treated with peroxide the last several weeks during my pwc's, but I still have it in some places. I assumed if I doubled up my cO2 liquid supplement that problem would subside, but I still have the issue. Not sure what I am doing wrong. Any tips are welcome.

Parameters are as follows

Ammo: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 10
PH: 7.6

I'm having the same problem with my sword in my 20g when I bought it, it had a few big leaves then they all melted back and now I just have a ton of tiny little leaves on it all about an inch long. It's been in the tank for about a month now. Ill be sticking around to see what people have to say.

When I have swords in my tanks I usually add root tabs to them every 45 days or so. They are heavy root feeders, key word being heavy, so they are going to use the nutrients in the root tabs much faster than other plants will. Your lighting is fine for them.

As for the BBA. How long do you run lights daily? When fighting algae you should only run your lights a max of 6 hours. You can double your liquid carbon dose safely but it won't "cure" your algae issue. How much current is in your tank? What are your nitrate levels? Using Flourish Comp once a week in a tank your using liquid carbon with decent lighting is not enough. Do you have other plants? Have you considering using dry ferts that will supply all the macro and micro nutrients plants need?

When I have swords in my tanks I usually add root tabs to them every 45 days or so. They are heavy root feeders, key word being heavy, so they are going to use the nutrients in the root tabs much faster than other plants will. Your lighting is fine for them.

As for the BBA. How long do you run lights daily? When fighting algae you should only run your lights a max of 6 hours. You can double your liquid carbon dose safely but it won't "cure" your algae issue. How much current is in your tank? What are your nitrate levels? Using Flourish Comp once a week in a tank your using liquid carbon with decent lighting is not enough. Do you have other plants? Have you considering using dry ferts that will supply all the macro and micro nutrients plants need?

Parameters and plants are in my op. Nitrates were 10 before last pwc. I actually run lights less than six hours most days, sometimes up to eight hours, but that is the max. can you give more details about the dry ferts you reference.

+1 on rivercats advice she reccomended the same fert regime and my plants grow like weeds. Also I dunno if I missed it or if no one mentioned it the sword dying off could be converting from emersed to submersed growth. Can you post a pic of them.

Back
Top Bottom