Problems with crypts and dwarf sag

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FWFishTanks

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have my crypt wendtii red and dwarf sag under a single finnex planted plus fixture with only root tabs under them. The crypts are constantly melting and the sag looks generally out of shape ( brown in places with holes in the leaves). Is the lighting too high? The substrate is pool filter sand. I can add pics if necessary.

How long have you had these plants?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

And they were doing well?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

At first the crypts looked great, but now (forgot to mention) The crypts are getting spots all over them. Is this iron deficiency? The sag has gone downhill since adding the finnex fixture. Is the light to high for the sag and/or the crypts?

What kind of root tabs are you using? Dosing of the column at all?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I am adding API root tabs, but I am not dosing the column, because I have so,e Val's, and I do not want to melt them with excel. Do the other seachem ferts, like iron work?

You don't have to dose excel (carbon supplement) but dosing ferts (macros/micros ) is important. How long have the root tabs been in?

Sent from my LG-D850 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Most root tabs are meant to be added monthly. There's a lot of issues reported with the API tabs so I haven't used them (plus they are super expensive). But definitely look into a different root tab, osmocote+ is good if you want to go DIY. If you want to keep the column dosing simple just start with a weekly dose of flourish comprehensive. It's not meant to be a complete package (it assumes a standard fish load to provide N and P), but it's close.

No, excel(glutaraldehyde) can melt vals and anacharis, sometimes crypts, but it's different from flourish comprehensive. Excel is a carbon supplement, and Flourish Comprehensive is a general fertilizer.

Pics would help.

My crypts with Flourish Comprehensive and API LeafZone weekly plus DIY Root Tabs.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421974441.555808.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421974470.825132.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1421974498.780524.jpg

C lutea
C wendtii Mi Oya

Etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I've kept
C balansae
C wendtii
C lutea
C pontederiifolia
C retrospiralis
C parva
Etc...

Etc. love Crypts ❤️
I'm in a plant club ?

And I doubt your carbon is having an impact. I do dose Excel into my tank, where I have Vals currently. But I'm only dosing once a week or half strength. I have regular Vals that have sent runners all over my tank. And I have spiral Vals that are sending out runners now while they're free floating.

Last edited:
I just got some Val's and I cut way way back on my excel dosing(metricide 14) and slowly brought it back up to full strength. They seem to be doing well once they acclimated.
I had a similar problem with my sag about a year ago. The original few that I planted melted away, but before they did they sent runners out. Now they are back and nice and healthy and green.

Back
Top Bottom