Problems with XP3 Filter...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dapellegrini

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, I think it is official. I am not going to get any customer support on this no matter how many help tickets and emails I send them... Errrrr.

So I bought my second XP3 from ThatPetPlace.com and can't seem to get all of the air out of the filter... The water level is down from the top of the canister by as much as 2-3 inches. Here is what I have tried:

- Confirmed no water leaks detectable
- Confirmed hoses tightly clipped, no leaks that I can tell
- Confirmed the intake is capped tightly (the black screw cap part)
- Checked the o-rings on the quick disconnect and they look brand new and fine (though who knows).
- Checked the large o-ring around the top seal, took it out and put it back in... It looks a little more questionable, but I couldn't say that it looks worn...
- Removed the first part from the impeller and looked around, but didn't see anything that could be wrong in there
- Tried every different way of packing the baskets, etc... It is currently setup identical to my older XP3 that is working great.

Ok, so if I unplug, open the top and remove the quick disconnect, then reseal everything, it seems to expel most of the air when I plug it back in, though there is still about 3/4 - 1 inch of air in there... Over the course of a few hours it drops back down significantly (more air gets inside).

Then I decided to swap the quick disconnects between my two filters, thinking that if their was a problem with the seal on that part, my now working XP3 would start to suck air... Well after 24 hours, BOTH units had air in them!!! When I switched it back the older unit ejected all the air and is fine again...

So now I am thinking that this is a multi-point failure with this unit... I really don't want to have to try and box it all up and send it back to ThatPetPlace.com, but I am running short on options. I was thinking of perhaps buying one locally at PetsMart (really spendy) and then returning the not working one in that box....

Any other suggestions?

I had a similar problem when I first got my XP3. It finally turned out to be the black hose clamps. I had to use a pliers to really ratchet them down tight, and then after that, everything worked fine. Just be careful when tightening since the clamps are plastic not to break them.

You might try contacting the manufacturer directly. They should be able to quickly help you diagnose the problem, and either send you replacement parts or swap it out for one that works.

Well I have clipped the tube clips as tight as they will go with a pair of pliers. Also, I have tried to contact the Manufacturer from the beginning. They are the ones that simply do not return my emails or respond to my help desk ticket submissions.

I just picked up a new on from PetsMart and will undergo the trial and error process this weekend. I should be able to get all of the broken parts in one box to return.

Any other thoughts or ideas still welcome.

I have an XP2 which operates under the same principles as the XP3 and when I had this problem there were two things their customer service told me.
First of all they told me that the top of the cannister should be a minimum of 25" below the water line of the tank it's filtering for proper filling and operation.
The other thing is that if I fill it and it is making those 'air in the lines' sounds to try tilting the cannister to one side and then the other to help clear locked air.
I have come to rue the day I bought my XP2 over an Eheim. It's just not up to the quality
of the Eheim and if I had the choice to make again or a recommendation, I opt for the Eheim even if it was twice the price. Just my opinion.

Len

Interesting. Both filters are under my tank:

DSC07097.JPG

I often tilt it to eject some of the air in hopes that it will not come back... If the water level inside is too low, this will actually make it choke and will have to re-prime it... Whatever I do, the air keeps finding a way back in there...

I am really happy with my first one, works great with no issues. This one seemed odd out of the box, like it might have been a floor model or something.... You are lucky you could get customer support to answer you...

I have both the XP2 and XP3 and they both work great for me. Yes, when you look at the filter you will see a waterline in the canister. It won't be totally full. And the only time I actually have any gurgling is when my plants are pearling too much, causing more than normal O2 build-up in the filter due to saturation. Other than that, they work flawlessly.

Another thing too is to not have any drooping of the filter hoses. It should go from the filter up to the tank, and not down to make a U in the hose.

dehinrichs - Thanks for the tip on the clips... this morning it looks like the air ejection into my tank has stopped! The water level in my filter is much higher than it was before...

When I tipped it over to try and get the rest of the air out, I noticed water leaking from here:

DSC07306.jpg

Perhaps I have a faulty top as well...

LBW: Thanks for the tip. I am not ready to trim the tube just yet, but I did play around with it a bit more to keep it all above the canister.

Tightening the clips seemed to help until later in the afternoon yesterday when it started sucking more air again... Ughh. Today is my day to figure this out... I suspect the blue top/motor part.

Well, if it's leaking at that one spot, I suspect that's where the air is getting in as well. Is it where the lid meets the canister or is there a crack in the plastic? Try cleaning the gasket around the inside with a soft brush. And the spot where it leaks, how does the gasket look?

The leak was in the blue plastic part, not at the joint with the canister... I put the new top on and that seems to have solved the problem. Just the same, I also changed out the quick-disconnect and the canister body. Also cut the intake tube back as you suggested.

Seem to be working correctly now. Whewww... Now to take the broken one back.

Sounds like you have a faulty gasket in the top. I also had this problem along the way. I called customer service and they sent me a complete, brand new top and a return label for my bad one. They couldn't have been nicer about it. It was out of warranty but they still went out of their way for me.
As much as the filter itself has, at times given me aggravation, I've had good experiences with the company. I think I called the number on the box it came in, or the manual.
Keep trying and they should be able to help you.

Len

Back
Top Bottom