Profiles Aquatic soil vs profiles MVP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_4_all

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, after searching for days on end trying to find any real information, I finally called the company and they gave me all I needed to hear. The MVP is almost the exact same product as the Aquatic soil and has all the CEC qualities. It also breaks down very little, something like 5% over 20 years. For those of us that want to try our hands at emersed growth or even use it as substrate, here is an inexpensive way to do so. With most people I asked saying that the Aquatic Soil was as good or better than flourite, why not? It also comes in two colors, gray and the same color as the Aquatic soil, the reddish iron oxide look, which is what they treat it with to give it that color. Other product also come in emerald green so there could be a lot of options. Maybe they can make the Turface in Green for some really cool tanks.

I hope the representative I talked to will stop in to our forum and give his technical data and he said he would try to find information about it being used in aquatic settings.

BTW, the representative said they use one of the Profile products to control algae on golf courses. But will have to wait for him to post so we can ask him why.

Good job! I think it's wonderful that a rep will allow their brain to be picked. With the increasing amount of interest in Turface, I'm sure there will be a ton.

I have turface in my tank. It is a little light, ie gets sucked up in the gravel vac very easily, but it is mostly the really small stuff that my screen missed. It seems to be a great substrate, and I will agree with it breaking down very little/slowly. I have been using it with terrestrial plants for the last few years with excellent results. Great as a soil amendment. Keep posting any info you discover, it is great to have more knowledge.

FWIW, I used Schultz for over a year and was very happy with it: grew lots and lots of stuff in it. Like you and Angry the Clown, my one complaint was weight, though time (the substrate seems to get heavier) and gravel layer helped with that.

Will say though, I'd pay the extra money for the heavy, easy to plant in substrate any day. I type this while acknowledging I feel silly paying money for designer dirt.

Thanks for the manufacturer comments.

Back
Top Bottom