Propogating ludwigia repens

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Trout11B

Aquarium Advice Freak
I've read that all you need to do is cut the stem in half. What other tips do y'all have about spreading and planting this plant in my tank? Any help would be appreciated.

Usually you plant each stem individually with the leaves on the stem almost but not quite touching the leaves of the stems planted around it. IMO planting at least 6 stems in a group makes a better statement except in very small tanks. Then when stems get tall enough just clip them and you can replant in another area or add to the exsisting group to make it a larger stand.

I accidentally laid one sideways in the substrate once... I had it in the substrate on one end, then in the middle... ended up having about 10 stems shoot out of it about an inch apart all along the horizontal stem

Rookie that's funny about the stem. Maybe I'll give that a try someday and see if I get the same results.

So river cats, you're saying I don't necessarily need to trim the stems, just seperate them at the base?

Think you might have misunderstood. Did the stems come in a bundle with a plant weight tied around them to keep them in a bundle? That is what I meant by you need to take each individual stem out of the bundle and plant each stem seperately. IMO with new stem plants it's best to plant them and let them grow and acclimate for awhile before trimming them down. But once you trim them you can then plant the trimmed off tops.

You can just cut the stem slightly above the node. Then plant the cutting so that the node is under the substrate. The new roots will grow from the node. Easy!

Sounds good everybody. I have one or two stems i might trim and transplant. Seems like this species is fairly forgiving under the right conditions, so I'm going to take my chances on this one.

Thanks for the info everybody

Back
Top Bottom