pros and cons

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
Im thinking about doing a planted tank but I just want to know what I'm getting into, if you could tell me some pros and cons of having a planted tank over fake plants, please do

greetings.

there are many disadvantages aswell as advantages to having a planted tank, but i've never had fake plants so my view might be biassed.

the good:

a whole new level of aquascaping - plants add new life to the aquarium and new possiblities for creating a dynamic and everchanging look to the aquarium.

fish are more comfortable in the more natural environment that true plants provide.

live plants provide o2, which means that if you have enough plants compared to your stock level you don't need an airstone or another means of adding o2 to the tank. plants also use nitrate.

the disadvantages are:

alot of research needed - lights, substrate, circulation, temperature, fertilization are all essencial for plants, and some plants have higher needs than others. some plants have higher demands than otheres, influencing the costs (which can run high).

Back
Top Bottom