Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-20-2007, 08:59 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Protein Film..and how to get rid of it

On my 120g planted, I've developed a nice protein film at the surface. I have my spraybar angled slightly at the surface, to give a slight ripple, and my powerhead is angled the same. I don't want too much surface disturbance, since I inject CO2.

What causes this?
What fixes this?

Old 07-20-2007, 02:33 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

If it is like my tank, the film is caused by dissolved organics and can be corrected by regular surface agitation along with weekly 50-70% water changes and good filtration. You might also want to look into getting a surface skimmer (not a protein skimmer), but I've never had any luck with them myself.

Old 07-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have an Eheim 2028 on it so I don't think filtration is much of an issue. My water change routine is about 50% every 6 weeks or so. I've not had this type of film as an issue until recently. hmmmm
Old 07-20-2007, 06:05 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

My tank has a surface skimmer portion on the built in filter and it helps considerably. I end up just using a turkey baster or paper towel to "suck" it up. I also find that dry foods decrease the quantity I see. I see an increase with brine shrimp, mysis, etc... I also have the powerhead that run my filtration system aimed to create a nice surface ripple. This is a freshwater tank also.
Old 07-21-2007, 05:20 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a feeling it's being caused by feeding frozen bloodworms or brine on a daily basis for the past 2 weeks.

I got a male sunset variatus from work today. Hopefully he'll assist by eating the film.
Old 07-23-2007, 12:17 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

The combination of the type (and amount if overfed) along with your lengthy time between PWC's is most likely the cause. I would up the frequency of your water changes.
Old 07-25-2007, 10:34 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

How did I miss this one! I get the film on my 75 as well. I now run a skimmer made by Tom Aquarium Products on one of the two Fluval 305's on my 75 gallon. Member Wizard of Oz told me about it. It is cheap, around 20 bucks but it works really well. You hook it up to the intake of your filter, it splits the intake in two, draws water from the surface as well as the bottom. You can adjust the flow to be more from the surface or more from the bottom to suit your needs. It works amazing, no film on the top of the water at all. Also collects all the floating bits of plants at the skimmer so you can quickly scoop them out. I run one on my 20 gallon as well. I got both of mine at Big Als. Great little unit and cheap
90 gallon, Crypt undulata "broad leaf" Lobelia cardinalis small and large form. H.corymbosa "compact" Crypt parva, Crypt Red Wendetti Downoi, Bacopa, Samolus Valerandi, Limnophilla Aromatica Alternanthera Reineckii lilacina(purple)
2x 150 Wt 10000k HQI Metal Halide, 2x 65 Wt 6700k-Colourmax
Glenc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 09:40 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...surfaceskimmer

Fluval makes the exact same thing (and they have both in their listings). I have both the Aquaclear and the Fluval versions, and can comfortably say they are functional equivalents, and nearly identical in every way . They work great, and after researching, found more than one reference that they are better than the Eheim surface extractor one - found several references to the Eheim one clogging easily, and a couple of references that it was sucking in fry.

The piping from Eheims fits tight into the wide connection of it, so they do plumb together. It also plumbs to Renas.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingg
The piping from Eheims fits tight into the wide connection of it, so they do plumb together. It also plumbs to Renas.
Interesting...we just got those in at work....I wondered if it would connect...is there just one size?

I believe this is the Eheim equivalent

Looks like that just might be the best idea.

BTW, I haven't fed frozen food since the first post. Film is already disappearing.

Tags
film, protein

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com