Protein Film..and how to get rid of it

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

evercl92

Aquarium Advice FINatic
On my 120g planted, I've developed a nice protein film at the surface. I have my spraybar angled slightly at the surface, to give a slight ripple, and my powerhead is angled the same. I don't want too much surface disturbance, since I inject CO2.

What causes this?
What fixes this?

If it is like my tank, the film is caused by dissolved organics and can be corrected by regular surface agitation along with weekly 50-70% water changes and good filtration. You might also want to look into getting a surface skimmer (not a protein skimmer), but I've never had any luck with them myself.

I have an Eheim 2028 on it so I don't think filtration is much of an issue. My water change routine is about 50% every 6 weeks or so. I've not had this type of film as an issue until recently. hmmmm

My tank has a surface skimmer portion on the built in filter and it helps considerably. I end up just using a turkey baster or paper towel to "suck" it up. I also find that dry foods decrease the quantity I see. I see an increase with brine shrimp, mysis, etc... I also have the powerhead that run my filtration system aimed to create a nice surface ripple. This is a freshwater tank also.

I have a feeling it's being caused by feeding frozen bloodworms or brine on a daily basis for the past 2 weeks.

I got a male sunset variatus from work today. Hopefully he'll assist by eating the film.

The combination of the type (and amount if overfed) along with your lengthy time between PWC's is most likely the cause. I would up the frequency of your water changes.

How did I miss this one! I get the film on my 75 as well. I now run a skimmer made by Tom Aquarium Products on one of the two Fluval 305's on my 75 gallon. Member Wizard of Oz told me about it. It is cheap, around 20 bucks but it works really well. You hook it up to the intake of your filter, it splits the intake in two, draws water from the surface as well as the bottom. You can adjust the flow to be more from the surface or more from the bottom to suit your needs. It works amazing, no film on the top of the water at all. Also collects all the floating bits of plants at the skimmer so you can quickly scoop them out. I run one on my 20 gallon as well. I got both of mine at Big Als. Great little unit and cheap :)

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp19174/si1378628/cl0/aquaclearsurfaceskimmer

Fluval makes the exact same thing (and they have both in their listings). I have both the Aquaclear and the Fluval versions, and can comfortably say they are functional equivalents, and nearly identical in every way :). They work great, and after researching, found more than one reference that they are better than the Eheim surface extractor one - found several references to the Eheim one clogging easily, and a couple of references that it was sucking in fry.

The piping from Eheims fits tight into the wide connection of it, so they do plumb together. It also plumbs to Renas.

ingg said:
The piping from Eheims fits tight into the wide connection of it, so they do plumb together. It also plumbs to Renas.

Interesting...we just got those in at work....I wondered if it would connect...is there just one size?

I believe this is the Eheim equivalent
lg_900823_FS12758.jpg

Looks like that just might be the best idea.

BTW, I haven't fed frozen food since the first post. Film is already disappearing.

Back
Top Bottom