Prune dying plant leaves?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
Mostly I've read to prune plant leaves which are dying off so the plant doesn't try to put energy into trying to repair them. My first question I was wondering is if that is true?

I don't have any evidence to support this but my initial thought would be no. Dying leaves are usually the older leaves unless there is some kind of nutrient deficiency that effects new growth, in which case the plant has more pressing problems.

Stem plant in particular are known to drop lower leaves in favour of new growth. Newer growth is closer to atmospheric carbon dioxide and light. It's all about competition at the end of the day. A plant that has greater access to light co2 and nutrients is more likely to outcompete and over shadow its rivals.

My thoughts would be, once a plant has decided to abandon a leaf it's as good as dead as is no longer being supported at all.

Decaying leaves are a good mechanism for algal growth too. Why I don't really know. Leaf surface loses its protective layer? Leeching of nutrients? Chemical trigger?

It's an interesting topic for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Many thanks. I had read that a leaf that has a deficiency will never recover from it but wondered if that was correct.

I had read back through some old threads (possibly with healthier plants than mine) suggesting to prune the leaves either way. Think this was Rivercats.

But I was also thinking or wondering that if it was lower leaves that are having nutrients pulled out of them for new growth than maybe best to leave (while keeping an eye out for algae and trying to fix the problem).

I'm stuck on the bus lately until sort out a car so thinking up all sorts of weird ideas ?

Many thanks. I had read that a leaf that has a deficiency will never recover from it but wondered if that was correct.

I had read back through some old threads (possibly with healthier plants than mine) suggesting to prune the leaves either way. Think this was Rivercats.

But I was also thinking or wondering that if it was lower leaves that are having nutrients pulled out of them for new growth than maybe best to leave (while keeping an eye out for algae and trying to fix the problem).

I'm stuck on the bus lately until sort out a car so thinking up all sorts of weird ideas ?

Yes I believe that's what plants do. They use leaves as organ stores then remove nutrients from them to put towards new growth. Plants are clever organisms and their survival strategies date back over millennia. I don't normally prune leaves but will take them out once discarded completely.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Back
Top Bottom